From: xserver80 on
Hi All
I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
Windows) into a dedicated server.
The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
check data in other system server.
In the future my boss will ask me for the copy of data backup
exsisting in the dedicated server backup in the LTO type carthage (or
similar).
Now I am looking for a software or hardware system to do that.
If I don't find any dedicated hardware system I will prepare a
dedicate server with big area storage inside.
I don't think that a script is a good idea, because I need to keep
data saved for long tine and I need to check data during or after each
backup cicle. (check data transfer and dada consistance).
Can you help me to find a solutions?
I will evaluate all solutions thet you post me. Whatever, software and
hardware, commercial or free.
I must show to my boss the best solution. :-)

I thank everybody in advance.
Alex

On 08/07/2010 10:46 AM, xserver80 wrote:
> Hi All
> I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
> Windows) into a dedicated server.
> The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
> source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
> The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
> Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
> That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
> check data in other system server.
> In the future my boss will ask me for the copy of data backup
> exsisting in the dedicated server backup in the LTO type carthage (or
> similar).
> Now I am looking for a software or hardware system to do that.
> If I don't find any dedicated hardware system I will prepare a
> dedicate server with big area storage inside.
> I don't think that a script is a good idea, because I need to keep
> data saved for long tine and I need to check data during or after each
> backup cicle. (check data transfer and dada consistance).
> Can you help me to find a solutions?
> I will evaluate all solutions thet you post me. Whatever, software and
> hardware, commercial or free.
> I must show to my boss the best solution. :-)
>
> I thank everybody in advance.
> Alex

You don't need "Software" all you need is a simple bash script that 1.)
GZIP's everything but: proc, sys and others, 2.) signs said backup and
then encrypts it and 3.) an SSH cert to the other server and the time to
make said simple script. You can even use Perl or PHP, both of which
support being daemonized so you can do incremental backups or backups of
specific files based on changes. I usually prefer the Perl method, but
sometimes am forced to use PHP and when clients flat out refuse to let
me daemonize I tell them to do it themselves since it's not my problem
anyways I was just being nice and send them an SH script that does
exactly what I described.

Here is an example to start you off:

#!/bin/bash -e

echo $(date): [Info] Starting backup of server_name >> /var/log/backups.log
tar cvpjf server_backup.tar.bz2 --same-owner \
--exclude=/proc/* \
--exclude=/media/* \
--exclude=/dev/* \
--exclude=/mnt/* \
--exclude=/sys/* \
--exclude=/tmp/* \
--exclude=/usr/tmp/* \
--exclude=/lost+found/* \
--exclude=/server_backup.tar.bz2

You'll of course want to remove server_backup.tar.bz2, generate a
certificate to sign and encrypt and move that certificate to your
personal PC too and make more log entries throughout the process so you
can diagnose a missed backup, but other than that it's pretty simple.
Good luck.

2010/8/7 xserver80 <xserver80(a)gmail.com>:
> Hi All
> I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
> Windows) into a dedicated server.
> The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
> source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
> The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
> Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
> That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
> check data in other system server.
> In the future my boss will ask me for the copy of data backup
> exsisting in the dedicated server backup in the  LTO type carthage (or
> similar).
> Now I am looking for a software or hardware system to do that.
> If I don't find any dedicated hardware system I will prepare a
> dedicate server with big area storage inside.
> I don't think that a script is a good idea, because I need to keep
> data saved for long tine and I need to check data during or after each
> backup cicle. (check data transfer and dada consistance).
> Can you help me to find a solutions?
> I will evaluate all solutions thet you post me. Whatever, software and
> hardware, commercial or free.
> I must show to my boss the best solution. :-)
>
> I thank everybody in advance.

how about amanda or bacula?

--
Eero

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 10:46 AM, xserver80 wrote:
>> Hi All
>> I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
>> Windows) into a dedicated server.
>> The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
>> source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
>> The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
>> Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
>> That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
>> check data in other system server.
>>
> You don't need "Software" all you need is a simple bash script that
> 1.) GZIP's everything but: proc, sys and others, 2.) signs said backup
> and then encrypts it and 3.) an SSH cert to the other server and the
> time to make said simple script. You can even use Perl or PHP, both of
> which support being daemonized so you can do incremental backups or
> backups of specific files based on changes. I usually prefer the Perl
> method, but sometimes am forced to use PHP and when clients flat out
> refuse to let me daemonize I tell them to do it themselves since it's
> not my problem anyways I was just being nice and send them an SH
> script that does exactly what I described.
Assuming you have access to the destination server, and can mount the
directories, you might consider running rdiff-backup - to save some
space and bandwidth (despite the "r" in the name, it will work fine
across filesystems on the same machine). There's a nice little utility
called backupninja that handles setting up all the options and cron jobs
- details at https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/show/backupninja -- I
moved from a simple bash script to backup-ninja and have been very happy
with the results. There's also a longer list of backup tools at
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/backuptools.htm

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On 07/08/10 Jordon Bedwell said:

> You don't need "Software" all you need is a simple bash script that 1.)
> GZIP's everything but: proc, sys and others, 2.) signs said backup and
> then encrypts it and 3.) an SSH cert to the other server and the time to
> make said simple script. You can even use Perl or PHP, both of which
> support being daemonized so you can do incremental backups or backups of
> specific files based on changes. I usually prefer the Perl method, but
> sometimes am forced to use PHP and when clients flat out refuse to let
> me daemonize I tell them to do it themselves since it's not my problem
> anyways I was just being nice and send them an SH script that does
> exactly what I described.

Personally I pipe tar over ssh so I'm not dependent on enough disk space on
the machine being backed-up to create a local archive. Plus, it's only one
command that way.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier(a)digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein