From: Rod Speed on
sobriquet wrote:
> On 20 feb, 04:00, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> sobriquet wrote:

>>> http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5758/everest1q.jpg
>>
>>> So that means one of my internal hitachi drives reached a
>>> temperature of 150C?!
>>
>> Nope, 40C
>
> But that 40 number for the hitachi drive is in the same column as the 63 for the WD drive..

Yes, but there are two numbers in that column with the Hitachi.

> and I don't understand the relationship between
> the raw values and the value/worst numbers, or does
> that differ between various brands/models of HDs?

Yes it does.

From: Robert Nichols on
In article <7uacddFq0nU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
:sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
:
:> Here is a screenshot of the SMART info from Everest when the drive has
:> just been
:> turned on after the power has been off for a while.
:
:
:> http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3280/everest2t.jpg
:
:Fits. With the linear regression from my other posting,
:it looks like your disk went up to something like 63C,
:and that could be enough to degrade its mechanics and
:electronics enough to have caused a large number of
:errors.

Plus, it confirms that the raw value (28) is indeed the Celsius
temperature.

:To sum up: It looks like you nearly cooked your disk to
:death and the 6000 reallocated sectors happened when it
:was close to to failing completely.
:
:Note that there are 3 stages to heat death (with my personal
:estimation when they happen, depends also on the drive):
:
: 1. Starts to produce errors [60-70C]: you were there
: 2. Fails, but works again after cooldown [65-75C]
: 3. Fails permanently or suffers permanent damage [?]
:
:In all stages the disk ages very rapidly and may fail soon.
:I would also not really trust a disk anymore that has reached
:stage 2.

And, unless that drive has been operating in an unusually hot
environment (sitting on top of a hot air register, maybe?) I'd scream
bloody Hell to WD about the unconscionably bad thermal design of that
enclosure.

From: Arno on
Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote:
> In article <7uacddFq0nU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> :sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> :
> :> Here is a screenshot of the SMART info from Everest when the drive has
> :> just been
> :> turned on after the power has been off for a while.
> :
> :
> :> http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3280/everest2t.jpg
> :
> :Fits. With the linear regression from my other posting,
> :it looks like your disk went up to something like 63C,
> :and that could be enough to degrade its mechanics and
> :electronics enough to have caused a large number of
> :errors.

> Plus, it confirms that the raw value (28) is indeed the Celsius
> temperature.

Indeed.

> :To sum up: It looks like you nearly cooked your disk to
> :death and the 6000 reallocated sectors happened when it
> :was close to to failing completely.
> :
> :Note that there are 3 stages to heat death (with my personal
> :estimation when they happen, depends also on the drive):
> :
> : 1. Starts to produce errors [60-70C]: you were there
> : 2. Fails, but works again after cooldown [65-75C]
> : 3. Fails permanently or suffers permanent damage [?]
> :
> :In all stages the disk ages very rapidly and may fail soon.
> :I would also not really trust a disk anymore that has reached
> :stage 2.

> And, unless that drive has been operating in an unusually hot
> environment (sitting on top of a hot air register, maybe?) I'd scream
> bloody Hell to WD about the unconscionably bad thermal design of that
> enclosure.

I am a bit surprised by this. I have several WD elements
1TB and 1.5TB, both im the older aluminum and the newer
plastic case, and they do not have anything like this
problem. What I see is something like 15C over ambient
temperature.

If the MyBook drives get that much hotter, then WD seems
to have messed up badly. Not that this would surprise me.
There are far too many companies hiring young, inexperienced,
cheap engineers for design work.

The last instance I had the misfortune to run in was a new ASUS
mainboard with thermal design so bad it died within a week. The
northbridge cooler was thermally a bit on the small side, but at the
same time mechanically on the large and attached so badly that a light
touch would tear it loose from the chip and kill the chip. When I
then found thermal grease incompetenly applied over the not removed
(!) phase change pad on the replacement board, I decided to not buy
ASUS again. This looks very much like cutting cost a bit too much and
not noticeing it. Not something an experienced enginneer does, but a
typical beginners mistake. The ones truely responsible are of course
those that hired the inexperienced engineers and did not give them
experienced support and supervision, i.e. this is very likely a
management mess-up.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Robert Nichols on
In article <7udeuhFlolU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
:
:The last instance I had the misfortune to run in was a new ASUS
:mainboard with thermal design so bad it died within a week. The
:northbridge cooler was thermally a bit on the small side, but at the
:same time mechanically on the large and attached so badly that a light
:touch would tear it loose from the chip and kill the chip. When I
:then found thermal grease incompetenly applied over the not removed
:(!) phase change pad on the replacement board, I decided to not buy
:ASUS again. This looks very much like cutting cost a bit too much and
:not noticeing it. Not something an experienced enginneer does, but a
:typical beginners mistake. The ones truely responsible are of course
:those that hired the inexperienced engineers and did not give them
:experienced support and supervision, i.e. this is very likely a
:management mess-up.

OTOH, my recent ASUS motherboard (M4A78T-E) has been performing
splendidly for 3 months now.

As with most things, YMMV.

From: Bob Willard on
Arno wrote:

> There are far too many companies hiring young, inexperienced,
> cheap engineers for design work.
>
> The last instance I had the misfortune to run in was a new ASUS
> mainboard with thermal design so bad it died within a week. The
> northbridge cooler was thermally a bit on the small side, but at the
> same time mechanically on the large and attached so badly that a light
> touch would tear it loose from the chip and kill the chip. When I
> then found thermal grease incompetenly applied over the not removed
> (!) phase change pad on the replacement board, I decided to not buy
> ASUS again. This looks very much like cutting cost a bit too much and
> not noticeing it. Not something an experienced enginneer does, but a
> typical beginners mistake. The ones truely responsible are of course
> those that hired the inexperienced engineers and did not give them
> experienced support and supervision, i.e. this is very likely a
> management mess-up.
>
> Arno

I do suspect, based on limited evidence, that there has been a
reduction in product quality in recent years. Some examples of
my oldies-but-goodies:

1.My K7M and its 500 MHz Athlon CPU have been running 24x7 since
Dec'99. I did replace the PS once and I did add a HD twice, and
I think I added RAM once, but the MB+CPU are original.

Stability may be due to continued use of Win98. ;-)

2.My primary printer for this multiple-PC site is a HPLJ4L, bought
in Jul'94. It uses a couple of cartridges a year (light duty).
Other than a paper jam roughly every six months, reliability
is incredible.

Meanwhile, I'm on my 5th or 6th InkJet, from various vendors.
They eat color cartridges, clog badly, and don't handle paper
well. I push everybody here to stick to B&W for printouts.

<Black helicopter alert> Could it be that hardware vendors have
gotten jealous of the level of quality that PC software vendors
get by with, and have tried to lower their quality standards
to match M$? <Cancel alert>
--
Cheers, Bob