From: shawn on
Hi folks.

I had a pc running WINDOWS 7. Photoshop CS3. Set up a batch resize to
1024*680 and had a file size around 120kb which I was happy to upload to
Flickr. Then I sold the pc and brought a laptop. Transferred CS3 to the
laptop and set up the same batch routine, but my file sizes now are aroundf
550kb!!! So I tried to batch resize using Irfanview and I get file sizes
of around 550kb. Whats going on? I need images around 120kb but I don't
want them looking tiny on the screen thats why I want them at 1024*680.
Please help. Thanks.

From: Ofnuts on
On 14/03/2010 22:25, shawn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I had a pc running WINDOWS 7. Photoshop CS3. Set up a batch resize to
> 1024*680 and had a file size around 120kb which I was happy to upload to
> Flickr. Then I sold the pc and brought a laptop. Transferred CS3 to the
> laptop and set up the same batch routine, but my file sizes now are
> aroundf 550kb!!! So I tried to batch resize using Irfanview and I get
> file sizes of around 550kb. Whats going on? I need images around 120kb
> but I don't want them looking tiny on the screen thats why I want them
> at 1024*680. Please help. Thanks.

Final file size is a function of both pixel count and compression ratio
(aka "quality"). I suspect you also need to tune this.

--
Bertrand
From: shawn on

"Ofnuts" <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote in message
> On 14/03/2010 22:25, shawn wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I had a pc running WINDOWS 7. Photoshop CS3. Set up a batch resize to
>> 1024*680 and had a file size around 120kb which I was happy to upload to
>> Flickr. Then I sold the pc and brought a laptop. Transferred CS3 to the
>> laptop and set up the same batch routine, but my file sizes now are
>> aroundf 550kb!!! So I tried to batch resize using Irfanview and I get
>> file sizes of around 550kb. Whats going on? I need images around 120kb
>> but I don't want them looking tiny on the screen thats why I want them
>> at 1024*680. Please help. Thanks.
>
> Final file size is a function of both pixel count and compression ratio
> (aka "quality"). I suspect you also need to tune this.

Cheers. It worked. I wish I knew why I had not thought of that. It was
staring me right at me!

From: Chris Malcolm on
Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
> On 14/03/2010 22:25, shawn wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I had a pc running WINDOWS 7. Photoshop CS3. Set up a batch resize to
>> 1024*680 and had a file size around 120kb which I was happy to upload to
>> Flickr. Then I sold the pc and brought a laptop. Transferred CS3 to the
>> laptop and set up the same batch routine, but my file sizes now are
>> aroundf 550kb!!! So I tried to batch resize using Irfanview and I get
>> file sizes of around 550kb. Whats going on? I need images around 120kb
>> but I don't want them looking tiny on the screen thats why I want them
>> at 1024*680. Please help. Thanks.

> Final file size is a function of both pixel count and compression ratio
> (aka "quality"). I suspect you also need to tune this.

It's also a function on how much apparent fine detail is in the
image. Softly focused low ISO images will compress a lot smaller than
sharply focused ones with high detail. Very noisy high ISO images will
give you the largest jpeg file sizes.

--
Chris Malcolm