From: Druidic Ranger on
This is a difficult question to phrase right so I will take some time
to do it properly.

Is the sense of taste more similar to this:

select case food
case food.salty : Report_Salty()
case food.sweet : Report_Sweet()
case food.sour : Report_Sour()
case food.spicy : Report_Spicy()
end select

or is it more like this:

private function Taste_Function (byval t as food_type) as
Report_Flavor
return f(t) 'f is a linear one-dimensional/two dimensional
function
end function

***

In essence, is the sense of taste a straight linear function based on
flavor, or is it more selective, perhaps a function of four distinct
flavors:

f(Flavor) vs. f(Saltiness) + f(Sweetness) + f(Sourness) + f
(Spiciness)

Also, the actual biologics aside, what does your intuition tell you
that it would be and how do they compare?

--
Snake Eyes
From: Auric__ on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:06:17 GMT, Druidic Ranger wrote:

> This is a difficult question to phrase right so I will take some time
> to do it properly.

You might want to phrase it outside of a programming group. (This is OT in
clbvm.)

FWIW, Wikipedia (The Web's Largest Source of Disinformation(TM)) has a
discussion of how human taste works (or is thought to work) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste

--
- I'm leaving.
- Not fast enough.