From: MoiInAust on
Mike!

If anyone knows it would be you. How can I read data from the USB port into
a vb6 progam?

From: Nobody on
"MoiInAust" <user(a)user.com> wrote in message
> Mike!
>
> If anyone knows it would be you. How can I read data from the USB port
> into a vb6 progam?

See "Visual Basic 6" here:

http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm

For some reason the page does not appear completely in IE6. If this happens
to you, try another browser, like FireFox.

Main page:

http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm

From: MoiInAust on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "MoiInAust" <user(a)user.com> wrote in message
>> Mike!
>>
>> If anyone knows it would be you. How can I read data from the USB port
>> into a vb6 progam?
>
> See "Visual Basic 6" here:
>
> http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm
>
> For some reason the page does not appear completely in IE6. If this
> happens to you, try another browser, like FireFox.
>
> Main page:
>
> http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm

Thanks for that, but I found it too lengthy and confusing.

I am trying to develop an application that reads voltages via the USB port
and presents them in a graph. Both the x and y will be associated with
voltage changes (ie time will not come into it). There will be no actual HID
devices to identify and I don't want an all singing and dancing general
application that will eg check which device is there. I don't want someone
to write the code. I am happy to sytruggle through that. But I do want to
know the syntax just to read voltages via the USB port. Like 'vbReadUSB'
or suchlike.

From: Jim Mack on
MoiInAust wrote:

>> http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm
>>
> Thanks for that, but I found it too lengthy and confusing.
>
> I am trying to develop an application that reads voltages via the
> USB port and presents them in a graph. Both the x and y will be
> associated with voltage changes (ie time will not come into it).
> There will be no actual HID devices to identify and I don't want an
> all singing and dancing general application that will eg check
> which device is there. I don't want someone to write the code. I am
> happy to sytruggle through that. But I do want to know the syntax
> just to read voltages via the USB port. Like 'vbReadUSB' or
> suchlike.

What you're asking for doesn't exist. The USB port is a serial digital
port. It does not respond to analog voltage levels. That would require
an ADC.

You can buy ADCs that have a USB interface, which would come with a
driver and perhaps a software library / ActiveX. But there is no way
you will ever read varying analog voltages using the USB port alone.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: Schmidt on

"MoiInAust" <user(a)user.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4b196958$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...> > Main page:

> I do want to know the syntax just to read voltages
> via the USB port. Like 'vbReadUSB' or suchlike.

The "syntax" is defined by the vendor of your USB-
AD-converter-Box.

These usually come with a full set of drivers/APIs (for all
kind of languages) - in most cases even with VB5/6
sample-code (and an "USBDeviceAPI.bas" file, which
contains the appropriate Declares.

Here are some vendors, which I know, deliver
VB-modules with their boxes:

http://www.meilhaus.de/en/home/
(they distribute the LabJack-Boxes here, which you can
directly buy at: http://labjack.com/ too of course.

http://www.datatranslation.com/
(not the cheapest, but they offer true-parallel-AD-sampling
boxes in good quality - one of the not that costly ones
is the DT9810)

Don't know, what you have in mind exactly - if it needs to
be even smaller (in the 20$-range), in the last years nearly
each of the larger chip-vendors (Texas Instruments, Analog
Devices, etc.) has brought up nice "thumb-size" evaluation-
kits - usually involving a micro-processor with integrated
A/D-ports, Rs232, etc. - the PC-communication is then
done mostly over a virtual Rs232-port, which you could
read and write with the VB-COMM-control.
Here's an example-picture of that category.
http://focus.ti.com/graphics/tool/ez430-f2013.jpg

The datarate (the capture-frequency) - as well as the bit-depth
is not that high as with the "real measurement-boxes" above,
(which don't emulate a COM-port, but talk over their own
USB-drivers-API) but for many scenarios these small "sticks"
are good enough.

Olaf