From: Pete10016 on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
>>> may be on the board.
>>>
>>> JD
>> The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
>> humble MB.
>
> its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you can
> get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot, you don't
> see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.
>
> JD

One last question, can I expand for USB and eSATA ports?

From: JD on
On 15/02/2010 9:08 PM, Pete10016 wrote:

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>>
>>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
>>> humble MB.
>>
>> its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
>> can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot,
>> you don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.
>>
>> JD
>>
> One last question, can I expand for USB and eSATA ports?

Yes you can get eSATA and USB controllers for the PCIEx1 slot, the
PCIEx1 will eventually replace PCI.

JD

From: Pete10016 on

> On 15/02/2010 9:08 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
>>> can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot,
>>> you don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>> One last question, can I expand for USB and eSATA ports?
>>

> Yes you can get eSATA and USB controllers for the PCIEx1 slot, the PCIEx1
> will eventually replace PCI.
>
> JD

Thanks. I learned a lot.
I also have more confidence in my MB with PCIEx1.
-Pete

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Pete10016" <Pete(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside are
> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
> computer.
> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
> Thanks.

You can buy a 7-port powered USB hub for under $20. You simply plug it in to
an existing USB port on your PC, and you can add 7 USB devices. Because
there are so many new ports, the hub will have its own power supply because
there's no way to know today what sorts of loads you will put in the hub
tomorrow. USB is a specification that includes power loading. A hub like
this can exceed the power load, so it gets its own power supply.

The ports on your motherboard are normally labelled as to what they are,
PCI1, PCI2, SATA1, SATA2, and so on. If you are interested in an on-board
USB or SATA expansion, these would normally need a PCI slot, long slots with
hundreds of pins. The cards that plug into these slots will provide
connection points to the external devices at the back of the case, where the
mouse, keyboard, monitor, and so on, are connected. There are typically
three or four PCI slots that are available.

What OS are you running?

From: Pete10016 on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Pete10016" <Pete(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside
>> are
>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
>> computer.
>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
>> Thanks.
>

> You can buy a 7-port powered USB hub for under $20. You simply plug it in
> to an existing USB port on your PC, and you can add 7 USB devices.
> Because there are so many new ports, the hub will have its own power
> supply because there's no way to know today what sorts of loads you will
> put in the hub tomorrow. USB is a specification that includes power
> power supply.
>
> The ports on your motherboard are normally labelled as to what they are,
> PCI1, PCI2, SATA1, SATA2, and so on. If you are interested in an on-board
> USB or SATA expansion, these would normally need a PCI slot, long slots
> with hundreds of pins. The cards that plug into these slots will provide
> connection points to the external devices at the back of the case, where
> the mouse, keyboard, monitor, and so on, are connected. There are
> typically three or four PCI slots that are available.
>
> What OS are you running?

I am running Vista, on a Dell XPS machine.