From: Pete10016 on
I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside are
black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my computer.
Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
Thanks.

From: JD on
On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside are
> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my computer.
> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
> Thanks.

What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?

A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or it
could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.

as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound cards
(such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.

for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually white),
as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your motherboard
has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that gives you a
back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB hub plugged
into a usb port.

JD

From: Pete10016 on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside
>> are
>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
>> computer.
>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
>> Thanks.
>
> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
>
> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or it
> could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
>
> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound cards
> (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
>
> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually white),
> as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your motherboard has
> unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that gives you a back
> plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB hub plugged into a
> usb port.
>
> JD

I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't say
anything about the MB.
Is there a way short of opening the case?

From: JD on
On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left
>>> inside are
>>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
>>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
>>> computer.
>>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
>>
>> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
>> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
>>
>> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
>> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
>>
>> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
>> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
>> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
>> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB
>> hub plugged into a usb port.
>>
>> JD
>>
> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
> say anything about the MB.
> Is there a way short of opening the case?

what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
may be on the board.

JD
From: Pete10016 on

> On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
>>>
>>> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
>>> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
>>>
>>> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
>>> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
>>>
>>> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
>>> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
>>> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
>>> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB
>>> hub plugged into a usb port.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
>> say anything about the MB.
>> Is there a way short of opening the case?
>
> what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what may
> be on the board.
>
> JD
The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very humble
MB.