From: David Combs on
Just wondering -- that 2nd edition of solaris internals
is pretty darned good.

But zfs is not covered. Why, I wonder?

What's his plan: to come out with a 3rd edition, that's
pretty solaris 10 (11?) complete?

OR -- perhaps he'd add a chapter or two on zfs, and
stick it on the net, same place errata would go.

And where zfs would change how OTHER things in the
book would work, well, he can use an errata-like format
to mark and add text to those.

Anyway -- that book is sure a lot of money! -- and
doesn't cover zfs (clones, etc I suppose, etc).

Thanks,

David

From: Doug McIntyre on
dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>Just wondering -- that 2nd edition of solaris internals
>is pretty darned good.

>But zfs is not covered. Why, I wonder?

Hmm, maybe because the book was published in 2006, which means it was
probably written in 2004-2005? ZFS wasn't added to Solaris 10 until
the Oct 2008 update release. (yeah, ZFS roots were around in
2005, but they can't go writing about every project under OpenSolaris).

>What's his plan: to come out with a 3rd edition, that's
>pretty solaris 10 (11?) complete?

OpenSolaris is still a pretty moving target. I'd like to see a new
refresh when its more release, although at the rate things are going
that might not be for a while.. :(

From: cindy on
On Jun 12, 9:06 am, Doug McIntyre <mer...(a)geeks.org> wrote:
> dkco...(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
> >Just wondering -- that 2nd edition of solaris internals
> >is pretty darned good.
> >But zfs is not covered.  Why, I wonder?
>
> Hmm, maybe because the book was published in 2006, which means it was
> probably written in 2004-2005? ZFS wasn't added to Solaris 10 until
> the Oct 2008 update release. (yeah, ZFS roots were around in
> 2005, but they can't go writing about every project under OpenSolaris).
>
> >What's his plan: to come out with a 3rd edition, that's
> >pretty solaris 10 (11?) complete?
>
> OpenSolaris is still a pretty moving target. I'd like to see a new
> refresh when its more release, although at the rate things are going
> that might not be for a while.. :(

Not quite right about ZFS integration. ZFS integrated into the Nevada
release
in November 2005. A manual process for mounting a ZFS root file system
was
provided in April 2006 (Nevada only).

ZFS integrated into the Solaris 10 6/06 release and then the ZFS root/
boot/install
features were added in the Solaris 10 10/08 release.

I haven't heard of an upcoming version of Solaris Internals, but if
you are looking
for ZFS information, you should start here:

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/

Thanks,

Cindy