From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Paul Randall" <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote in message

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Smith" <someone(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I was hoping someone could suggest a good boot manager for a dual
>>> boot system comprising XP and Win 7 (and possible Solaris / Linux in the
>>> future)
>>>
>>> I previously installed Win 7 whilst in my XP session. This polluted my
>>> XP system as it wrote Win 7 boot files to my XP partition. I don't want
>>> any of that funny business. So this time I decided to placed each OS on
>>> a separate SATA drive.
>>>
>>> Configuration is as follows:
>>>
>>> Motherboard: Abit NF7-S 2.0
>>> SATA1: XP Pro SP3
>>> SATA2: Windows 7 (Build 7600)
>>>
>>> At this stage I have just been physically unplugging/booting the
>>> respective HDD's.
>>>
>>> I think my motherboard/bios is too old for that F12 boot trick I've read
>>> on the forums. I also might be interested in installing Solaris (or some
>>> flavour of Linux) in the future on another partition I'll create on
>>> SATA2.
>>>
>>> I heard that the preference is a boot manager that sits in the first
>>> track of the hard drive. I also want something that executes FAST and is
>>> simple to configure.
>>>
>>> I've heard about Acronis (which I read is somewhat slow) and GAG. Does
>>> anyone have any recommendations/config advice?
>>>
>>> Any help most appreciated.
>>>
>>> JS
>>
>> I have used XOSL for several years. It will work with any OS and each OS
>> can reside on any disk and on any partition (primary or logical). It's
>> free but it requires a 15 MByte partition for itself, which can be on any
>> disk. Note that XOSL does *not* modify the boot environment of your
>> various OSs in any way. It simply lets you select an OS, then passes
>> control to the chosen OS.
>
> Hi, Pegasus
>
> I've been meaning to play with XOSL for a while, and have read a lot of
> stuff about it; one thing that concerns me is that development stopped in
> about 2001. Hard drives back then were tiny compared to today's drives,
> and I haven't seen anything that says what, if any, hard drive size limits
> there are. I did read something about its being able to exceed an 8-GB
> limitation, but I'm wondering if it can handle 1.5 TB drives? I have a
> Compaq machine whose BIOS makes SATA drives look like IDE, and I'd like to
> know how much success people have had using XOSL with large drives.
>
> -Paul Randall

Sorry, I don't know. If I had a large drive then I would give it a try - it
only takes a few minutes. I would do this:
- Create a 15 MByte FAT partition at the far end of the large disk.
- Install XOSL in that partition.
- Add a disk with a pre-existing WinXP installation.
- Add this WinXP instance to the XOSL selection menu.
- Test it.
- Create a 20 GByte logical partition near the far end of the large disk.
- Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD.
- Use robocopy to copy the WinXP installation from the second disk to the
logical partition on the first disk.
- Disconnect the second disk.
- Add the cloned WinXP instance to the XOSL menu.
- Test it.
Warning: XOSL does not have many safeguards. It can easily wipe out existing
partitions if you make a wrong choice. You should play with it using a
throw-away disk until you're fully familiar with its operation.

From: Paul Randall on

> "Paul Randall" <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "John Smith" <someone(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I have used XOSL for several years. It will work with any OS and each OS
>>> can reside on any disk and on any partition (primary or logical). It's
>>> free but it requires a 15 MByte partition for itself, which can be on
>>> any disk. Note that XOSL does *not* modify the boot environment of your
>>> various OSs in any way. It simply lets you select an OS, then passes
>>> control to the chosen OS.
>>
>> Hi, Pegasus
>>
>> I've been meaning to play with XOSL for a while, and have read a lot of
>> stuff about it; one thing that concerns me is that development stopped in
>> about 2001. Hard drives back then were tiny compared to today's drives,
>> and I haven't seen anything that says what, if any, hard drive size
>> limits there are. I did read something about its being able to exceed an
>> 8-GB limitation, but I'm wondering if it can handle 1.5 TB drives? I
>> have a Compaq machine whose BIOS makes SATA drives look like IDE, and I'd
>> like to know how much success people have had using XOSL with large
>> drives.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>
> Sorry, I don't know. If I had a large drive then I would give it a try -
> it only takes a few minutes. I would do this:
> - Create a 15 MByte FAT partition at the far end of the large disk.
> - Install XOSL in that partition.
> - Add a disk with a pre-existing WinXP installation.
> - Add this WinXP instance to the XOSL selection menu.
> - Test it.
> - Create a 20 GByte logical partition near the far end of the large disk.
> - Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD.
> - Use robocopy to copy the WinXP installation from the second disk to the
> logical partition on the first disk.
> - Disconnect the second disk.
> - Add the cloned WinXP instance to the XOSL menu.
> - Test it.
> Warning: XOSL does not have many safeguards. It can easily wipe out
> existing partitions if you make a wrong choice. You should play with it
> using a throw-away disk until you're fully familiar with its operation.

I'm away from home right now but I do have an unused 120 GB drive with me
that I might slip into my laptop and a UBCD4Win boot CD. After reading
http://www.buildorbuy.org/bioslimits.html, I'm thinking that it is worth
playing with. Thanks for the testing procedure. I think I have all the
necessary software tools with me to do this testing.

What is the largest hard drive you have used XOSL with?

-Paul Randall

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> I'm away from home right now but I do have an unused 120 GB drive with me
> that I might slip into my laptop and a UBCD4Win boot CD. After reading
> http://www.buildorbuy.org/bioslimits.html, I'm thinking that it is worth
> playing with. Thanks for the testing procedure. I think I have all the
> necessary software tools with me to do this testing.
>
> What is the largest hard drive you have used XOSL with?
>
> -Paul Randall

80 GBytes.