From: gtownfunk on
On Mar 5, 4:25 am, "Ant" <n...(a)home.today> wrote:
> "gtownfunk" wrote:
> > - Written in C#
>
> Yuk.
>
> > instead of obscure scripting languages hackers might use
>
> Bot authors prefer ASM, C or C++.

Agreed, not trying to market to bot authors.

> > - Runs on the .NET Framework you are familiar with
>
> Am I? I did a five day course on it once.
> So, it won't run on a unix box.

Not right now. We're trying to keep it simple enough to run through
Mono though such a release is quite a ways off.

Ben Camp
http://www.botnetworks.com/
From: gtownfunk on
On Mar 5, 8:31 am, "T.H" <tinfoli...(a)nospamplease.com> wrote:
> gtownfunk wrote:
> > We are just about to release a product and are looking for some
> > serious beta testers to give it a spin and let us know how you like
> > it:
>
> > snip...
>
> I like your Micro$oft marketing model.  Selling /Beta/ software to the
> end user.  SELLING Beta software.

Well, to be clear the preliminary pricing information that is on the
website is not for the beta testers program. Some pending updates to
the website will go live in a couple hours since I suppose this was
not clear enough. Right now our projected release date is May 31st.
We're hoping to have beta copies in the hands of our testers around
April 1st.

> It has worked for Micro$oft though.  You are more honest than Micro$oft
> about the developmental state of your product.  That is  a refreshing truth.
>
> Good luck.

*grin*

Ben Camp
http://www.botnetworks.com/

From: FromTheRafters on

> Like there is no benevolent virus, there is no benevolent botnet.

This assumes that computing power is being stolen. Otherwise a botnet is
just called distributed computing. A virus is always called a virus
whether it steals computing power or not - it is assumed that an
infecting virus will always be malicious because it is stealing power at
the very least. The definition of virus has nothing to do with malware,
whereas the definition of botnet seems to be "malicious distributed
computing network".

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> Like there is no benevolent virus, there is no benevolent botnet.

| This assumes that computing power is being stolen. Otherwise a botnet is
| just called distributed computing. A virus is always called a virus
| whether it steals computing power or not - it is assumed that an
| infecting virus will always be malicious because it is stealing power at
| the very least. The definition of virus has nothing to do with malware,
| whereas the definition of botnet seems to be "malicious distributed
| computing network".

FTR wins the prize.

I figured you would understand as you had mentioned the SET(a)Home project.

Compare D-Computing vs. Botnet and what constraints are there on the C2 mechanism ?

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
>>> Like there is no benevolent virus, there is no benevolent botnet.
>
> | This assumes that computing power is being stolen. Otherwise a
> botnet is
> | just called distributed computing. A virus is always called a virus
> | whether it steals computing power or not - it is assumed that an
> | infecting virus will always be malicious because it is stealing
> power at
> | the very least. The definition of virus has nothing to do with
> malware,
> | whereas the definition of botnet seems to be "malicious distributed
> | computing network".
>

> FTR wins the prize.
>
> I figured you would understand as you had mentioned the SET(a)Home
> project.

This site and Wikipedia both mention in passing that most times the term
'botnet' refers to the malicious ones.

http://www.topbits.com/botnet.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

> Compare D-Computing vs. Botnet and what constraints are there on the
> C2 mechanism ?

Will do, but not just now.

Just as a disk copying program (xcopy?) was a virus, Pluto was a planet.
Through no fault of their own, no change on their part, they just lose
status when the entire class gets redefined. :oD