From: gtownfunk on
We are just about to release a product and are looking for some
serious beta testers to give it a spin and let us know how you like
it:

botnetSim - The Botnet Simulator

Includes:
- Command and control - IRC, Twitter and HTTP based C&C models
included
- Bot Agents - IRC, Twitter and HTTP based bots included
- Experimental propagation model to simulate the infection of
vulnerable machines on your network
- Fake vulnerability - no way for botnet to 'go wild'

Features:
- Full source code included
- Written in C# instead of obscure scripting languages hackers might
use
- Runs on the .NET Framework you are familiar with
- No malicious code, educational comments where malicious code might
occur in malware

Sign up on our website: http://www.botnetWorks.com/
Or send me an email: ben(a)botnetworks.com

Thanks,
Ben Camp
botnetWorks - putting botnets work for the good guys!
From: Virus Guy on
gtownfunk wrote:

> We are just about to release a product and are looking for
> some serious beta testers to give it a spin and let us know
> how you like it:
>
> botnetSim - The Botnet Simulator

Introductory Price - Starting at only $1995.00

> Or send me an email: ben(a)botnetworks.com

I'm posting this (to 3 usenet newsgroup) as well as e-mailing to that
address, and sales(a)botnetworks.com and info(a)botnetworks.com.

Please explain your business model where you think that individuals and
organizations will find it useful to purchase your product for approx.
$2k.

============
Over the next 12 months we plan to release several educational and
experimental products to help your organization understand both the
security risks that malware botnets pose as well as the potential
windfall of savings that a benevolent botnet can provide.
===========

Please explain or define the term "benevolent botnet".
From: FromTheRafters on

"Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> gtownfunk wrote:
>
>> We are just about to release a product and are looking for
>> some serious beta testers to give it a spin and let us know
>> how you like it:
>>
>> botnetSim - The Botnet Simulator
>
> Introductory Price - Starting at only $1995.00
>
>> Or send me an email: ben(a)botnetworks.com
>
> I'm posting this (to 3 usenet newsgroup) as well as e-mailing to that
> address, and sales(a)botnetworks.com and info(a)botnetworks.com.
>
> Please explain your business model where you think that individuals
> and
> organizations will find it useful to purchase your product for approx.
> $2k.
>
> ============
> Over the next 12 months we plan to release several educational and
> experimental products to help your organization understand both the
> security risks that malware botnets pose as well as the potential
> windfall of savings that a benevolent botnet can provide.
> ===========
>
> Please explain or define the term "benevolent botnet".

Folding(a)home and seti(a)home are examples of distributed computing.

From: gtownfunk on
Hey Guy,

While you yourself may be well educated in how botnets operate, not
everyone in the world is. I am well aware that you can go and dig up
malware source code and create your own malware.. and do it all for
free.

Our software allows the comfort of experimenting with your own network
of bot agents without the risks of malware and out of control
propagation looming overhead. Like I said earlier, you yourself may
know all about botnets already.. and as such you might not be a
potential customer of ours. Time is money, I'm sure $1995 is barely
the overhead your company pays each week to keep you around. Our
objective is not to provide a fancy feature-rich botnet for hardcore
consumption. Our intent is to enlighten with simplicity not to obscure
with complexity.

If we can help someone who is interested but doesn't have the time to
get knee-deep in black hat websites, then we have succeeded.

Here's a quick example of a "benevolent botnet" that could reduce risk
but wouldn't realistically provide a windfall of savings... A simple
botnet could query local DNS servers and report back any anomalies.
This way, a DNS hack could likely be detected even if it was to only
affect a small percentage of the internet.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Ben Camp
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gtownfunk" <ben_camp(a)yahoo.com>

| Hey Guy,

| While you yourself may be well educated in how botnets operate, not
| everyone in the world is. I am well aware that you can go and dig up
| malware source code and create your own malware.. and do it all for
| free.

| Our software allows the comfort of experimenting with your own network
| of bot agents without the risks of malware and out of control
| propagation looming overhead. Like I said earlier, you yourself may
| know all about botnets already.. and as such you might not be a
| potential customer of ours. Time is money, I'm sure $1995 is barely
| the overhead your company pays each week to keep you around. Our
| objective is not to provide a fancy feature-rich botnet for hardcore
| consumption. Our intent is to enlighten with simplicity not to obscure
| with complexity.

| If we can help someone who is interested but doesn't have the time to
| get knee-deep in black hat websites, then we have succeeded.

| Here's a quick example of a "benevolent botnet" that could reduce risk
| but wouldn't realistically provide a windfall of savings... A simple
| botnet could query local DNS servers and report back any anomalies.
| This way, a DNS hack could likely be detected even if it was to only
| affect a small percentage of the internet.

| Hope that helps clear things up.

| Ben Camp

For ~$2,000.00 ?

NO

A "company" would go for something more reputable such as BotHunter
http://www.bothunter.net/

A collaboration of SRI and US Army RDECOM.

Like there is no benevolent virus, there is no benevolent botnet.

/* What are you thinking ? */

--
Dave