From: sobriquet on

I'm using AVG at the moment, but I'm thinking about switching to
Windows Security Essentials.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

Is there anyone who has any opinion about what's better as a free anti-
virus solution for Windows?

greetings and thx in advance for any feedback
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:51:56 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm using AVG at the moment, but I'm thinking about switching to
>Windows Security Essentials.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx
>
>Is there anyone who has any opinion about what's better as a free anti-
>virus solution for Windows?
>
>greetings and thx in advance for any feedback

Frankly my friend....there is NO best AV free or pay-for. This is the
endless debate that has flourished in this group over the years.

My personal opinion ( since you asked ) on FREE AV products would be
either Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials. I have used both at
extended lengths. Between THOSE two I would now always prefer MSSE but
only from a GUI perspective. I personally prefer the 'look and feel' of
interacting with it -and- it is less conspicuous than Avast IMHO. Both
of those AV products, as well as AVG are ICSA Certified products and at
least in theory one would be adequately 'protected or secure' with any
one of those three.

Lastly the very best EVER "anti-everything bad" program there ever was
is between your ears and between my ears. Supplement "Safe Hex" with a
decent AV program (or 'security suite') and you'll be fine. Safe Hex is
a cyber term for good old common sense, caution, and carefulness. Be
smart (Safe Hex) and back it up with some good AV software. It's about
all anyone can do if they choose to use a computer.

For 100% absolute never fail AV 'protection' sell your computer.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com>

| I'm using AVG at the moment, but I'm thinking about switching to
| Windows Security Essentials.

| http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

| Is there anyone who has any opinion about what's better as a free anti-
| virus solution for Windows?

| greetings and thx in advance for any feedback

Avira AntiVir is *better* than MSE and AVG (and Avast).

--
Dave

From: Fuzzy Logic on
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote in news:bc4957bd-b971-4244-a598-060b32d2d785
@e1g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> I'm using AVG at the moment, but I'm thinking about switching to
> Windows Security Essentials.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx
>
> Is there anyone who has any opinion about what's better as a free anti-
> virus solution for Windows?
>
> greetings and thx in advance for any feedback

While 'best' is subjective. Lifehacker recently had an article that says recent tests of AV products put MSSE at
the top of the free products:

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

Here is a related article on the same site:

http://lifehacker.com/5401453/stop-paying-for-windows-security-microsofts-security-tools-are-good-enough

From: Gufus on
Hi David,

Wednesday March 03 2010, David H. Lipman writes to All:

> Avira AntiVir is *better* than MSE and AVG (and Avast).

I second that opinion. ;)

Gufus
--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Friends don't let friends drive Vista