From: Erick Engelke on

I'd like to install nessus on my freebsd 8.0 machine.

It complains because I only have one bpf device and the ports version
wants 64 or so.

MAKEDEV is deprecated. How do I (someone who needs clear steps) make the
necessary devices. I do have bpf and bpf0, and GENERIC kernel which
includes bpf.

Thanks
Erick
From: Lowell Gilbert on
Erick Engelke <erick(a)engmail.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I'd like to install nessus on my freebsd 8.0 machine.
>
> It complains because I only have one bpf device and the ports version
> wants 64 or so.
>
> MAKEDEV is deprecated. How do I (someone who needs clear steps) make
> the necessary devices. I do have bpf and bpf0, and GENERIC kernel
> which includes bpf.

You just need to configure devfs to create the devices.
I don't have a formula at hand, but I think something like
add path 'bpf*' unhide mode 0660 group nessus
is what you would put into devfs.rules.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/