From: John McWilliams on
Bruce wrote:

> I have done quite a lot of "painting with flash" over the last 30+
> years and I just set the flash to auto and fire away. I do own a
> flash meter but have never used it for that type of work. There just
> isn't any need.

My understanding of the term is that, usually, a camera is set upon a
tripod, long shutter, small aperture at dusk or at night, and a hand
held flash on manual is fired at various spots of the near landscape or
building, thus "painting" with light selectively. Is that what you mean?
And if so, have you any tips for so doing? I've been meaning to try
this, but never got a round tuit.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Bruce on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:09:58 -0700, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>
>> I have done quite a lot of "painting with flash" over the last 30+
>> years and I just set the flash to auto and fire away. I do own a
>> flash meter but have never used it for that type of work. There just
>> isn't any need.
>

>My understanding of the term is that, usually, a camera is set upon a
>tripod, long shutter, small aperture at dusk or at night, and a hand
>held flash on manual is fired at various spots of the near landscape or
>building, thus "painting" with light selectively. Is that what you mean?
>And if so, have you any tips for so doing? I've been meaning to try
>this, but never got a round tuit.

Yes, that's it, and it is as easy as can be. There are three
important tips. First, set the flashgun to auto so that its built-in
sensor will help deliver just the right amount of illumination.
Second, overlap the illuminated areas slightly so you don't leave
"dark holes" between flashes. Third, don't allow your body to get
between the illuminated area and the camera, or your ghostly
silhouette will appear on the image. ;-)

Practice makes perfect, so it's best to just try it, look at the
results and then refine your technique for next time. That's very
easy to do with digital, but I have also successfully used the
technique with film since 1974.

From: George Kerby on

On 4/8/10 9:09 AM, in article hpko3o$clt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org, "John
McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>
>> I have done quite a lot of "painting with flash" over the last 30+
>> years and I just set the flash to auto and fire away. I do own a
>> flash meter but have never used it for that type of work. There just
>> isn't any need.
>

> My understanding of the term is that, usually, a camera is set upon a
> tripod, long shutter, small aperture at dusk or at night, and a hand
> held flash on manual is fired at various spots of the near landscape or
> building, thus "painting" with light selectively. Is that what you mean?
> And if so, have you any tips for so doing? I've been meaning to try
> this, but never got a round tuit.

<http://leejagers.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/procrastination.jpg>

Now you do. No more excuses...