From: sauro on
I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.

Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
significant differences?

Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
inside an adaptor?

Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?
From: Ofnuts on
On 08/04/2010 20:17, sauro wrote:
> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
> my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
> a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>
> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
> significant differences?

There is one thing in the SD that is not supported by the micro SD (SPI
mode) but I don't think its' relevant in cameras.

> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
> inside an adaptor?

More contacts, so yes. But still workable.

> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

For the same price, I can't tell, but the main use of microSD
(telephones and MP3 players) doesn't call for very fast cards, so those
fast enough for cameras may be a bit harder to find.

--
Bertrand
From: Better Info on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:17:20 +0100, sauro <invalid(a)nospaml.com> wrote:

>I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
>my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
>a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>
>Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
>significant differences?

They behave no differently, if that's what you mean. Except for
write-speed, see below.

>Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
>inside an adaptor?

As long as you keep the contacts from getting oils and dirt on them you
should have no problems. I use them in all manner of Micro-SD(HC) adapters.
I like Micro-SD because while listening to my MP3 tunes or audio-books
while out taking photographs I know I always have a ready backup of memory
handy. The MP3's I can always copy over again after formatting it for
photos. The photo that I need to take might be a once in a lifetime chance.
The MP3's are easily expendable out in the field. My GPS unit also uses
Micro-SD, so there's another large chunk of backup memory for photos that I
always have along with. I can always replace the maps on those cards too.
But there's generally at least 3GB of free space left on my 8GB MicroSD
card in my GPS unit without having to delete anything. The rest is taken up
with high-resolution topographic and water depth maps for nearly 2
continents. (File manipulation is done out in the field by using my MP3
player that has "RockBox" installed on it for its operating system.)

For an older Sony camera I even use a 4GB Micro-SDHC in 2 nested adapters.
One to mate it to Memory-Stick Pro Duo, and the Memory-Stick Pro Duo goes
in an older Memory-Stick Pro adapter. An easy upgrade for a camera that
doesn't even allow that much memory. Even with 2 adapters being used I find
no problems.

Another plus is that by using adapters for other card formats you can often
use them in older card readers that do not support the SDHC format, if your
card is a Micro-SDHC type. The same way that I'm able to override the older
Sony camera's 2GB memory limit, the adapter makes it backward-compatible.

>Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

I have found that the ones I've purchased are a little slower in
write-speed than the same speed rating on full sized SD cards. Why this is
so I'm unsure. It could just be the brands I bought or something. I haven't
tested all brands and speed-ratings of them to find out if this is
generally true. If you browse the following compilation of SD and Micro-SD
card speed tests you'll see a pattern where they are a little slower on
write-speed when compared against similarly rated full-size SD cards in the
same cameras.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Benchmarks

From: SMS on
On 08/04/10 11:17 AM, sauro wrote:
> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
> my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
> a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>
> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
> significant differences?
>
> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
> inside an adaptor?
>
> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

Yes, but it might not matter to you. Depends on what speeds your camera
is capable of, and if you're doing HD video on the camera.

You can get MicroSD cards in class 6 and class 8, but they are a lot
more expensive than SD cards in class 6 and class 8.

In some devices the faster cards do make a big difference, such as many
GPS units which are reading map data off the cards.

I would use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter. It's another
point of failure and it's more expensive.

From: sauro on
On 22:43 8 Apr 2010, SMS wrote:

> On 08/04/10 11:17 AM, sauro wrote:
>> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for
>> when my other SD cards got full when I was away from home.
>> Additionally, I want a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>>
>> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
>> significant differences?
>>
>> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD
>> card inside an adaptor?
>>
>> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?
>
> Yes, but it might not matter to you. Depends on what speeds your
> camera is capable of, and if you're doing HD video on the camera.
>
> You can get MicroSD cards in class 6 and class 8, but they are a lot
> more expensive than SD cards in class 6 and class 8.
>
> In some devices the faster cards do make a big difference, such as
> many GPS units which are reading map data off the cards.
>
> I would use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter. It's another
> point of failure and it's more expensive.

Did you mean to say this ....

"I would NOT use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter"