From: Ron on

"Peabody" <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

Canon DSLRs have electronic external shutter releases. There are several
different models and all models don't work on all cameras. The half press
function is available on some releases, or maybe all releases. They also
have wireless releases. Check the B&H Photo web site for particulars.

Ron

From: Nervous Nick on
On Apr 8, 5:10 pm, Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?

Your best bet would be to google "spazz-proof oral shutter release".
I am laughing to hard to do it for you.

--
YOP...

From: Ofnuts on
On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).
On the Pentax and entry-level Canon, the connector is a 2.5mm stereo
jack, not that difficult to find, so one can build the wire remote of
one's dreams <http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.php>.
On the more expensive Canons, the connector is proprietary (N3) but the
working is the same.
--
Bertrand
From: DanP on
On 8 Apr, 23:10, Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

See this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Control-Release-Exchangeable-Connections/dp/B0036NLVGK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270842235&sr=8-5

There are some infrared remote controls that do not support half-
press.

DanP
From: Seymore on
"Ofnuts" <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote in message
> On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
>> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
>> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
>> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
>> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
>> shutter.
>>
>> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>> available through such a release?
>>
>> Thanks for any information.
>
> On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
> one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release). On
> the Pentax and entry-level Canon, the connector is a 2.5mm stereo jack,
> not that difficult to find, so one can build the wire remote of one's
> dreams <http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.php>. On the
> more expensive Canons, the connector is proprietary (N3) but the working
> is the same.
> --
> Bertrand

Anything is possible, look at Stephen Hawking. I agree with "ofnuts", the
Canon cable remotes have half way and full shutter release, although I think
you are maybe thinking about the pneumatic cable releases?

There are universal pneumatic cable releases around, but I don't know how
well they work. I just done a quick Google search and Hama make one, but
doesn't get rated on Amazon too highly. I'm sure there must be others out
there, maybe with brackets that screw into the tripod mount.

Just out of interest, I don't know much about your condition. Do you have
fully functional use on your left hand? How much functionality do you have
in your right hand, etc?

This may sound a bit crazy, but you could maybe even use a normal digital
release and just glue some wood onto the button, so you can operate it with
your mouth, left bicep, left elbow, chin, etc?