From: Seymore on
"Peabody" <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Seymore says...
>
> > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
> > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
> > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
> > right hand, etc?
>
> Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
> so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
> to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
> still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
> starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
> ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
> screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
> Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
> shutter.
>
> I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
> I would really want a better solution. Most of what
> I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
> I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
> case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
> It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
> of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
> hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
> K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
> there a mechanical solution would be possible.
>
> I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
> right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
> and buttons ok on that side. But I just need some other
> mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
> a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
> said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.
>
> If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
> seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
> it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
> and implementation.

You sound full of sh*t TBH.

From: Chris Malcolm on
Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
> On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
>> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
>> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
>> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
>> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
>> shutter.
>>
>> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>> available through such a release?
>>
>> Thanks for any information.

> On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
> one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).

Same for Sony DSLRs and probably most others. If the manufacturer only
offers a cable release, a third party manufacturer is sure to offer a
radio remote which does the half and full press.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Allen on
Seymore wrote:
> "DanP" <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 9 Apr, 23:55, "Seymore" <m...(a)seymorezworld.com> wrote:
>> "Peabody" <waybackNO784SPA...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Seymore says...

<snip>
> I doubt it.
>
> I have all the time in the world for genuine people.

Then you must be able to tolerate only a very quick glance at a mirror.
From: me on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:10:31 -0500, Peabody
<waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>available through such a release?

At least in the Nikon line, some use a wireless infrared, some use
wired electronic. Half press is there.
From: Better Info on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:10:31 -0500, Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
>wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
>device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
>release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
>shutter.
>
>Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>available through such a release?
>
>Thanks for any information.

There is always the option of one of 50+ models of CHDK supported Canon
Powershot cameras too. If you install CHDK on them then you can make a
simple cable-release using any USB plug, a small battery and a simple
switch. One press of the switch is a half-press to set exposure and focus,
another press of the switch is a full press. On manual focus mode then just
one press trips the shutter. This allows you to create any switch you want
for your needs. All manner of CHDK cameras are being adapted to all kinds
of people with physical challenges. If you set it for motion detection mode
then you don't even need a cable. It'll fire off images anytime the subject
in the viewfinder changes. Fast enough to even catch lighting strikes.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

The link below is a chart of some of the required battery voltages for a
simple momentary-on switch. A far right column, and it should also list
whether the camera can be woken-up from OFF by a simple press of your
USB-remote signal. Though many of the newer models do not support this
desirable feature. (The chart is incomplete, being dependent on camera
owners to pad it out with their correct information.)

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CameraFeatures

Most need nothing more than a tiny button-cell battery, a spare USB cable
to solder together, and a keychain LED light as the switch. My USB cable
release for my Powershot CHDK cameras is about the size and thickness of
half a pack of matches. The USB wire takes up more space than the switch.

The problem you might run into with dedicated DSLR electronic cable
releases is that some of them are not a simple momentary switch (as in the
case of all CHDK cameras). Some of them send a digital command signal from
the handset. This cannot be easily duplicated in home-brewed
special-purpose switches for some of them. It might also limit the distance
from controller to camera (in the same way that USB signals are limited to
wire length). You are not thus encumbered by distance or special
modifications by using a CHDK camera and its USB-remote feature because
it's a simple analog voltage spike it detects. If need be you could trigger
your camera from miles away, given enough wire and the right voltage to
show up at the other end. People also build their own radio, IR,
sound-trigger, and other high-speed switching methods to trigger their
cameras untethered (no wire between you and camera).