From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:31:22 -0500, Peabody
<waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Seymore says...
>
> > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
> > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
> > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
> > right hand, etc?
>
>Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
>so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
>to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
>still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
>starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
>ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
>screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.

I can't solder, play the piano, or putt very well. If a horrific
slice is also a problem for you, I must have the same disorder as you
do.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Vance on
On Apr 8, 3:10 pm, Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

Without a specific description of your particular symptomology, just
your description of the movements that don't present a problem to you,
the Canon release (which is simply electrical connections) and similar
for other makes could work without modification, or only a minor
mechanical modification. I would try that as a solution first if you
are upgrading/switching to a DSLR. The key to an out of the box
solution will be how small the required mechanical movement of the
shutter release is. You can go to a camera store and check that out
directly with the model you are considering and the cable release.

If the cable release requires a finer degree of movement than you can
manage, the mechanical switch can be replaced with one that is more
inline with what your are capable of. For instance, a slide switch in
place of the more common push button. While you may not be able to
solder, there is probably a High School nearby with an electronics
class. Any student can do it for you. All it would require is to cut
the cable and wire in the new switch.

There are more complex approaches which could be used such as a two
button system, with the press of one button being the equvalent of the
half press for exposure and auto-focus and the concurrent press of
another button to result in the shutter release. That could actually
be a better ergonomic design for actual camera use, since the two
buttons could be placed in a location where they could be worked by
two fingers of the right hand with the camera more or less held
normally. If something like that is needed, again, a High School
electronics class is a great resource. Students love real world
projects that can also earn them extra credit and I think that would
qualify.

Vance
From: M-M on
In article <20100409-223122.466.0(a)news.cox.net>,
Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> But I just need some other
> mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
> a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
> said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

I made something like this that worked well- a standard cable release
attached via the tripod mount with a pencil eraser extension to press
the shutter button:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
From: Allen on
M-M wrote:
> In article <20100409-223122.466.0(a)news.cox.net>,
> Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> But I just need some other
>> mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
>> a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
>> said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.
>

> I made something like this that worked well- a standard cable release
> attached via the tripod mount with a pencil eraser extension to press
> the shutter button:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

Clever idea!
Allen
From: M-M on
Here are two that I made. I did not use the pencil eraser. On one I
luckily found a plastic cap that fit exactly. On the other I bent a thin
bracket:

http://www.mhmyers.com/cdjpgs/cablerelease.jpg

--
m-m