From: gma on
if i enter "7:00 am in one cell and 5:45 pm in another cell, what formula do
in enter in another cell to caluclate the time?
From: Lars-�ke Aspelin on
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:04:01 -0800, gma <gma(a)mircosoft.com> wrote:

>if i enter "7:00 am in one cell and 5:45 pm in another cell, what formula do
>in enter in another cell to caluclate the time?

If the first cell is A1 and the other cell is A2, try the following
formula in a third cell:

=A2-A1

Format the third cell to display the time difference the way you like.

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke

From: FSt1 on
hi
do you mean subtract or add??
=sum(A2-B2) or +
just remember that excel keeps track of time as a percent of a day.
12 noon is .5 day. enter 7:00 in one cell and 5:45 in another. reformat to
general. these are the accual numerical values that excel is seeing.
formating doesn't change data, it just changes the way it looks on the sheet.

regards
FSt1

From: Fred Smith on
What value is using Sum? And if you're subtracting times, you want the
result formatted as a time, not General.

Regards,
Fred

From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
I hope that instead of =sum(A2-B2) you intended to say =A2-B2 ?
If not, what is the SUM function doing for us in that formula?
--
David Biddulph