From: Johan W. Elzenga on
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article
> <227288940300987791.660012nomail-please.invalid(a)news.supernews.com>,
> Johan W. Elzenga <nomail(a)please.invalid> wrote:
>
>> DJW <ddwr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> In OS 10 (10.4.11) is there a way to make it so it a person has to
>>> have a password to open that specific folder?
>>
>> There are utilities that can do that. Go to www.macupdate.com and do
>> search. If you don't want to use third party software, you can do it
>> indirectly: make a password protected disk image from that folder
> > using
>> Disk Utility.
>
> I thought that DU only let you protect the entire machine and not
> just a certain folder. Am I wrong (certainly won't be the first time
> (g).

DU allows to you make disk images. It's up to you what's on those disk
images.

--
Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<a56ed204-8487-4487-8e5a-b40c40ab3ac3(a)k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
DJW <ddwr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> In OS 10 (10.4.11) is there a way to make it so it a person has to
> have a password to open that specific folder?

No, but you can make it so only certain people can access the contents
of a folder by setting the ownership and permissions of the folder
appropriately.

Alternately, as others have said, you can make a password-protected
encrypted disk image to hold files securely.

JR
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-5F7117.16482516072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > In OS 10 (10.4.11) is there a way to make it so it a person has to
> > have a password to open that specific folder?
>
> No, but you can make it so only certain people can access the contents
> of a folder by setting the ownership and permissions of the folder
> appropriately.

that's trivial to bypass.

> Alternately, as others have said, you can make a password-protected
> encrypted disk image to hold files securely.

that's the proper solution, or use a third party utility that
implements passworded folders.
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <jollyroger-5F7117.16482516072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <a56ed204-8487-4487-8e5a-b40c40ab3ac3(a)k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> DJW <ddwr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In OS 10 (10.4.11) is there a way to make it so it a person has to
> > have a password to open that specific folder?
>
> No, but you can make it so only certain people can access the contents
> of a folder by setting the ownership and permissions of the folder
> appropriately.

ACLs would be a stronger technique than unix permissions.

> Alternately, as others have said, you can make a password-protected
> encrypted disk image to hold files securely.

Much better solution.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <tom_stiller-F59AF5.21385016072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Tom Stiller <tom_stiller(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-5F7117.16482516072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <a56ed204-8487-4487-8e5a-b40c40ab3ac3(a)k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> > DJW <ddwr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In OS 10 (10.4.11) is there a way to make it so it a person has to
> > > have a password to open that specific folder?
> >
> > No, but you can make it so only certain people can access the contents
> > of a folder by setting the ownership and permissions of the folder
> > appropriately.
>
> ACLs would be a stronger technique than unix permissions.

Absolutely. And more flexible as well.

JR