From: Greg N. on
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> With most graphic cards, you should be able to do that, by setting the
> desktop area to 1600x1200.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about that? On my catalyst control
center, under "display properties", I can set the "desktop area" - but
that changes the resolution, rather than creating a virtually larger
desktop like you described.

--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
From: Elmer Fudd on
William R. Walsh wrote:

> Maybe. It depends on the maker of the panel and how they choose to handle
> this. I have an older Samsung 15" Syncmaster LCD panel that does not care
> too much about being driven past its resolution limit of 1024x768. It will
> complain with an onscreen warning, and the display itself is "compacted" to
> the point where nothing is clear. But it will definitely sync up at up to
> 1280x1024.
>
> How do I know? Well, it seems that various Linux distributions think the
> panel has a native resolution of 1152x864 or so...and so I just decided one
> day to see how far beyond that it would go.
>
> I don't know if later Samsung panels support this or not.
>
> William

I have an HDTV projector that can do that too and it is an option the
manufacturer (BenQ) claims makes the image look better. All it does
though is downscale the 1920x1080 input signal to 1280x720 and I don't
see any benefit to doing that at all.
From: Elmer Fudd on
Greg N. wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about that? On my catalyst control
> center, under "display properties", I can set the "desktop area" - but
> that changes the resolution, rather than creating a virtually larger
> desktop like you described.

I think you might need to download Hydravision from ATI. I've never done
that but he is saying to force the desktop to overscan to 1600x1200 and
Hydravison may have that option.
From: Greg N. on
Elmer Fudd wrote:

> I think you might need to download Hydravision from ATI. I've never done
> that but he is saying to force the desktop to overscan to 1600x1200 and
> Hydravison may have that option.

I do have Hydravision, it was installed with the CCC. I have skimmed
the help, it says that Hydravision is used "to manage desktop displays
and workspaces in multi-display environments". I did not find anything
about larger-than-real desktop sizes other than in conjunction with
multiple displays.

From: Elmer Fudd on
Greg N. wrote:

> I do have Hydravision, it was installed with the CCC. I have skimmed
> the help, it says that Hydravision is used "to manage desktop displays
> and workspaces in multi-display environments". I did not find anything
> about larger-than-real desktop sizes other than in conjunction with
> multiple displays.

OK, was just a guess. Try Powerstrip to do it.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/