From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> * Greg N.:
>> This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
>> than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is,
>> say, 1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?
>
> It depends on the monitor. For example, some LCD TVs allow higher
> inputs (i.e. 1920x1080) than the native resolution of the TFT panel
> (i.e. 1366x720). While this however is rare at generic monitors, newer
> monitors with HDMI input may also accept higher resolutions than the
> native resolution.
>
>> Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
>> produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?
>
> Yes, it is possible. However, outside from HDTV (to display HD1080
> signals on HD720 monitors) I am not aware of any monitor that can do
> that.
>> Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
>> 1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this
>> will produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size -
>> without degradation.
>
> 1600x1200 exceeds a standard HD1080 (1920x1080) resolution so I doubt
> you will find any TFT that can do what you want.

Umm, dude, the 'comp' in the group name means that this is about computers,
not televisions.

My friend has a beautiful pair of 20" 3:4 ratio Samsung monitors that have
1600 x 1200 (UXGA) as their native resolution. Unfortunately I can't talk
him out of one. :-(

I've considered getting a (IPS) UXGA screen for this 15" T60 ThinkPad as it
was a factory option and you see them now and then on fleabay. However, I
think that a 15" screen is a bit small for such a high resolution so will
probably stick with my existing SXGA+ 1400 x 1050 IPS panel.

(IBM made an R51p about 5 years ago with a 15" screen with a 2048 x 1536
resolution. Now *that's* what I call high-res.)

AFAIC you can keep your 'widescreen' monitors. This ain't a TV or a toy it's
a computer and vertical real-estate is more important to me than horizontal.
However, to get good 'tall' screens you need to use a better technology than
the crappy TN system that most screens use.
--
Shaun.