From: Greg N. on
This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is, say,
1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
degradation.

I'm still using a CRT, but I am going to get me a good PVA TFT soon. If
I can get away with a moderately priced 22" PVA, that's what I'd prefer.
--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
From: DerekBaker on
Greg N. wrote:
> This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
> than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is, say,
> 1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

No.

> Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
> produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?
>
> Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
> 1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
> produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
> degradation.
>
> I'm still using a CRT, but I am going to get me a good PVA TFT soon. If
> I can get away with a moderately priced 22" PVA, that's what I'd prefer.

--
Derek
From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Greg N.:
> This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
> than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is, say,
> 1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

It depends on the monitor. For example, some LCD TVs allow higher inputs
(i.e. 1920x1080) than the native resolution of the TFT panel (i.e.
1366x720). While this however is rare at generic monitors, newer
monitors with HDMI input may also accept higher resolutions than the
native resolution.

> Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
> produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Yes, it is possible. However, outside from HDTV (to display HD1080
signals on HD720 monitors) I am not aware of any monitor that can do that.

> Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
> 1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
> produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
> degradation.

1600x1200 exceeds a standard HD1080 (1920x1080) resolution so I doubt
you will find any TFT that can do what you want.

Benjamin
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
> produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Maybe. It depends on the maker of the panel and how they choose to handle
this. I have an older Samsung 15" Syncmaster LCD panel that does not care
too much about being driven past its resolution limit of 1024x768. It will
complain with an onscreen warning, and the display itself is "compacted" to
the point where nothing is clear. But it will definitely sync up at up to
1280x1024.

How do I know? Well, it seems that various Linux distributions think the
panel has a native resolution of 1152x864 or so...and so I just decided one
day to see how far beyond that it would go.

I don't know if later Samsung panels support this or not.

William

From: Massimo Rosen on
Hi,

"Greg N." wrote:

> Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
> 1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
> produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
> degradation.

With most graphic cards, you should be able to do that, by setting the
desktop area to 1600x1200. It won't fit on the screen (which will still
show just the native resolution of your display) so that you have to
scroll (by moving the mouse to the screen edges), but it should be fine
for your purpose.

CU,
Massimo