From: LD55ZRA on
Your router should be able to do that. To block access using mac address is
always the work of hardware based firewall not software based firewall.

I would not invest on any software based firewall especially if you have
enabled Windows Firewall and you have effectively configured your router's
firewall. this should be more than sufficient in my opinion.

hth

From: MSDN newsgroup on
unfortunately, I don't see anything on the Linksys wireless N wrt-106 that
would block all except a particular Mac address to go thru specific TCP
port. I did see blocking pc on the network to access to some chosen
protocols. I even look at the policy rules but I don't see how to use them

I am trying to help my brother-in law to set up his remote access to his pc
from his laptop.
His security software, avira,, imho is not all that great albeit may be ok
for kids or casual home users

I won't worry about shortening account timeout or the limit by mac address
if I know he would use a sufficiently strong password.

I already chose and configured a non default tcp port for his desktop RDP as
well as forwarding on the router for the chosen IP. I just need to limit the
desktop rdp session access to his laptop before I enable the remote access
to his desktop

From: LD55ZRA on

You need to read Page 9 of your manual. It tells you everything about Mac
Address Clone. The link to your specific manual is here:

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/userguide/WRT160NL_V10_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

This is all considered Advanced Configuration and most people don't bother
with it because it is very time consuming.

Hope this helps.

From: GS on
thx for trying mac cloning is not what we need here as that is more for
connecting with ISP when one has trouble configuring the router. besides the
ISP here requires registration of MAC for access, I don't want to go thru
trouble w/o benefit

From: LD55ZRA on

Did you read the entire Advanced Configurations section? For example on
page 14 (or 18 of 65) there is an item called:

Wireless MAC Filter with following note:

Enabled/Disabled To filter wireless users by MAC Address,
either permitting or blocking access, select Enabled. If you
do not wish to filter users by MAC Address, keep the default,
Disabled.
Access Restriction

Prevent: Select this option to block wireless access by
MAC Address. This button is selected by default.

Permit: Select this option to allow wireless access by MAC
Address. This button is not selected by default.

MAC Address Filter List
Wireless Client List Click this to open the Wireless Client

You do need to read it throughly. The best thing is to print it out if you
don't have the printed version in your box.

hth

"GS" <NoOne(a)allMailSunken.net> wrote in message
> thx for trying mac cloning is not what we need here as that is more for
> connecting with ISP when one has trouble configuring the router. besides
> the ISP here requires registration of MAC for access, I don't want to go
> thru trouble w/o benefit
>
> "LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You need to read Page 9 of your manual. It tells you everything about
>> Mac Address Clone. The link to your specific manual is here:
>>
>> http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/userguide/WRT160NL_V10_UG_NC-WEB.pdf
>>
>> This is all considered Advanced Configuration and most people don't
>> bother with it because it is very time consuming.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> "MSDN newsgroup" <NoOne(a)allMailSunken.net> wrote in message
>>> unfortunately, I don't see anything on the Linksys wireless N wrt-106
>>> that would block all except a particular Mac address to go thru specific
>>> TCP port. I did see blocking pc on the network to access to some chosen
>>> protocols. I even look at the policy rules but I don't see how to use
>>> them
>>>
>>> I am trying to help my brother-in law to set up his remote access to his
>>> pc from his laptop.
>>> His security software, avira,, imho is not all that great albeit may be
>>> ok for kids or casual home users
>>>
>>> I won't worry about shortening account timeout or the limit by mac
>>> address if I know he would use a sufficiently strong password.
>>>
>>> I already chose and configured a non default tcp port for his desktop
>>> RDP as well as forwarding on the router for the chosen IP. I just need
>>> to limit the desktop rdp session access to his laptop before I enable
>>> the remote access to his desktop

Pages: 1
Prev: keyboard doesn't work
Next: vboopexm.dll?