From: Ed on
I can ping yahoo and google by name and get pretty quick response. So, it's
not a DNS problem I don't think. However I cannot connect to the internet.
I uninstalled SP3 and IE8 because it started shortly after they were
installed. I did the refresh of host file, winsock, and IP stack. Still no
go. It's not a Lan problem because I can run programs from my server. So,
in case it was virus or spyware, I just wiped the drive and did a fresh
install of XP w/SP2. Still won't connect.
This is an HP dc5700 with intel core 2 duo and 1gb ram. It's in a lab with
29 others just like it and it's the only one not working. Right now it has
nothing on it but the base OS. Not even virus protection.
I'm stumped.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
You mentioned 29 computers. So I assume that your server is a real server,
and the computer gets its credentials from the server.
You did not mention how the connection to the Internet done, it might be a
Gateway problem.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Ed on
Hi Jack,
I replaced the NIC. That solved the problem. I didn't think it was the NIC
because I was able to ping sites and download files (slowly) from the server.
I guess it was connecting enough to work on the LAN but not enough to avoid
timeouts on the WAN. It's working now though.
thanks for replying.