From: Helmut Giese on
Hello out there,
I sent a Tcl script to a client together with instructions how to
install Tcl and how to launch the script.
The client now reports that he receives the error message
can't find package __teapot__

I have never seen this message before (of course all my machines are
Tcl aware) so my question is: In what context does this message appear
or what could have gone wrong at the client's site to produce this
message?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - client is very unhappy and on
the border of getting angry.
Best regards
Helmut Giese
From: Helmut Giese on
I should add that this is ActiveTcl 8.4.14 on Windows (2000 or XP -
don't know right now).

The script in question is a small Tcl-only (no GUI) script which only
depends on one extension present in the same directory and which gets
loaded like
lappend auto_path .
package require Hrt
with a proper pkgindex.tcl present .- no other 'package require' in
sight.
Helmut Giese
From: Larry W. Virden on
On Oct 31, 7:06 am, Helmut Giese <hgi...(a)ratiosoft.com> wrote:

> can't find package __teapot__
>
> I have never seen this message before (of course all my machines are
> Tcl aware) so my question is: In what context does this message appear
> or what could have gone wrong at the client's site to produce this
> message?

well, teapot is the name of ActiveState's ActiveTcl software
repository, designed to provide packages to a software administrator.

However, using teacup (the activetcl client side of the setup), I
don't see a package named teapot listed.

The steps _I_ would take if this were my problem would be:

1. Recommend the client uninstall the previous activetcl, download the
latest Tcl 8.4 Windows ActiveTcl, and install it
2. Make certain the user has installed my script into a directory
containing nothing else
3. Report the situation to activestate with a high priority assigned.

From: Helmut Giese on
Hi Larry,
>well, teapot is the name of ActiveState's ActiveTcl software
>repository, designed to provide packages to a software administrator.
yeah, I have heard about it - don't know whether I would need it or
not though.

>The steps _I_ would take if this were my problem would be:
>
>1. Recommend the client uninstall the previous activetcl, download the
>latest Tcl 8.4 Windows ActiveTcl, and install it
It was a fresh install of Tcl 8.4.14.
>2. Make certain the user has installed my script into a directory
>containing nothing else
This is probably / almost certainly the case.
>3. Report the situation to activestate with a high priority assigned.
Hm, not sure what to report.

Anyway, this is one of those rare days, where a problem disappeared
all by itself (usually they appear from nowhere and insist on hanging
around).
Doing some hand-holding via telephone the program now runs like it
should. Differences:
- It is possible (though a bit unlikely) that the machine was rebooted
in the meantime.
- When it failed the user was in Tcl's bin directory and called
tclsh c:\somedir\somescript.tcl c:\destDir
(note the '\')
- When called from the script's directory like
tclsh somescript.tcl .
everything was ok (note the '.' for the directory and that no paths
are involved).

Looks like the culprits are the '\' in the invocation? Well, trying
version 1 on my machine worked as well as version 2, so it appears far
from obvious.

But the problem is gone so I won't trouble myself guessing for
reasons.
Thanks for your thoughts and best regards
Helmut Giese
From: Larry W. Virden on
On Oct 31, 11:17 am, Helmut Giese <hgi...(a)ratiosoft.com> wrote:
> Differences:

> - When it failed the user was in Tcl's bin directory and called
> tclsh c:\somedir\somescript.tcl c:\destDir
> (note the '\')

I wonder if the problem was being in Tcl's bin directory - you
indicated in your original (well followup) message:

> The script in question is a small Tcl-only (no GUI) script which only

> depends on one extension present in the same directory and which gets
> loaded like
lappend auto_path .
package require Hrt

Notice that you add . rather than a directory name, to auto_path, then
do a package require.

Perhaps something in the tcl bin directory interfered. Or, if the user
didn't have Hrt installed in the bin directory, then perhaps the
package require was having problems.

Alas, I don't have access to a Windows machine where I can test out
these theories.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: TCL exec
Next: couldn't load library "mpexpr10.dll" ...