From: rgvguplb on
Hi

i have 11g installed on redhat 5.1, and i can't seem to get the
enterprise manager db control page. If i try http://myserver:1158/em/
i get a binary file of some sort. That is, my browser (firefox) opens
a dialog "You have chosen to open (but doesn't give a filename) which
is a: BIN file from: ..."
and asks if it should open it or save it to disk.

What am i missing?

This is oracle 11.1.0.6.0.

thanks
From: hpuxrac on
On Jul 23, 6:56 pm, rgvguplb <rgvgu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have 11g installed on redhat 5.1, and i can't seem to get the
> enterprise manager db control page. If i tryhttp://myserver:1158/em/
> i get a binary file of some sort. That is, my browser (firefox) opens
> a dialog "You have chosen to open (but doesn't give a filename) which
> is a: BIN file from: ..."
> and asks if it should open it or save it to disk.
>
> What am i missing?
>
> This is oracle 11.1.0.6.0.
>
> thanks

For 11g it uses https ( secure ) by default. This is a pretty basic
thing surprised you had to post this on cdos.

You can change it away from https by doing an emctl unsecure dbconsole
( if memory serves me ).
From: rgvguplb on
On Jul 23, 4:39 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> For 11g it uses https ( secure ) by default.  This is a pretty basic
> thing surprised you had to post this on cdos.
>
> You can change it away from https by doing an emctl unsecure dbconsole
> ( if memory serves me ).

Thanks. I will give it a try when i get back to the office tomorrow.

It wasn't all that obvious to me, actually. The portlist.ini just said

Enterprise Manager Console HTTP Port (orcl) = 1158

so i assumed it's http and not https.

Also, the quick install guide says

Log in to Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control using a Web
browser.

Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control is a Web-based application
that you can use to manage a single Oracle Database installation. The
default URL for Database Control is similar to the following:

http://host.domain:1158/em/

so i didn't realize it's https.

And why on earth would it respond with a bin file rather than time out
or an appropriate error message?

it was either ask the question and risk getting called an idiot or not
get an answer. so there you go.

thanks again.
From: Carlos on
On 24 jul, 04:15, rgvguplb <rgvgu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 4:39 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > For 11g it uses https ( secure ) by default.  This is a pretty basic
> > thing surprised you had to post this on cdos.
>
> > You can change it away from https by doing an emctl unsecure dbconsole
> > ( if memory serves me ).
>
> Thanks. I will give it a try when i get back to the office tomorrow.
>
> It wasn't all that obvious to me, actually. The portlist.ini just said
>
> Enterprise Manager Console HTTP Port (orcl) = 1158
>
> so i assumed it's http and not https.
>
> Also, the quick install guide says
>
> Log in to Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control using a Web
> browser.
>
> Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control is a Web-based application
> that you can use to manage a single Oracle Database installation. The
> default URL for Database Control is similar to the following:
>
> http://host.domain:1158/em/
>
> so i didn't realize it's https.
>
> And why on earth would it respond with a bin file rather than time out
> or an appropriate error message?
>
> it was either ask the question and risk getting called an idiot or not
> get an answer. so there you go.
>
> thanks again.

>>"it was either ask the question and risk getting called an idiot or not get an answer. so there you go."

IMHO the only stupid question is the one that is not made at all. ;-)

Cheers.

Carlos.
From: Frank van Bortel on
rgvguplb wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have 11g installed on redhat 5.1, and i can't seem to get the
> enterprise manager db control page. If i try http://myserver:1158/em/
> i get a binary file of some sort. That is, my browser (firefox) opens
> a dialog "You have chosen to open (but doesn't give a filename) which
> is a: BIN file from: ..."
> and asks if it should open it or save it to disk.
>
> What am i missing?
>
> This is oracle 11.1.0.6.0.
>
> thanks
A browser that understands what it gets sent - FF doesn't, IE does.
Change the way FF handles this type; it should not ask, it should open,
similar to .html and .htm

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel