From: Seasidepeter on
Okay, when I got the above message I googled like a good'un and found
the "outlook.exe /resetnavpane' solution.

But - I now have to type that in every time I start Outlook. What is
actually causing it? I have just one profile, one email account -
couldn't be a simpler setup. And Outlook has worked perfectly well from
day one of installing windows 7 and resinstalling Office 2007.

The 'can't start' problem happened out of the blue a week ago. Nothing's
changed on my pc, no new programs...any ideas please? Or more permanent
solutions?

TIA..Peter
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Seasidepeter" <seasidepeter(a)nothere.co.uk> wrote in message

> Okay, when I got the above message I googled like a good'un and found the
> "outlook.exe /resetnavpane' solution.
>
> But - I now have to type that in every time I start Outlook.

You should need to do this very infrequently.

> What is actually causing it? I have just one profile, one email account -
> couldn't be a simpler setup. And Outlook has worked perfectly well from day
> one of installing windows 7 and resinstalling Office 2007.

This command switch rebuilds the file %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\profile.xml,
where "profile" is the name of your mail profile. That XML file controls the
Navigation Pane appearance.

> The 'can't start' problem happened out of the blue a week ago. Nothing's
> changed on my pc, no new programs...any ideas please? Or more permanent
> solutions?

There is some evidence that Outlook updates may affect it on occasion, but
clearly not every time you start Outlook. It appears something may be
affecting that file, but I can't suggest the likeliest culprit.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]