From: michael on
Hello,
after installing Office 2010 64 Bit (RTM)
32 Bit applications can not send mail any more.
Messages like this open in a dialog box:

---------------------------
Email
---------------------------
There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please
install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an
association in the Default Programs control panel.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Outlook is set as default which is also reflected in the corresponding
registry keys like HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail and

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail.

But both DLLPath entries are pointing to mapi32.dll

It doesn't help to change the entry to olmapi32.dll which comes with Office
2010.

Who can provide help?

From: neo on
This is the correct behavior and listed as a major reason to stick with the
32-bit version of Office 2010. Just so you know that under the 64bit
version the end result is...

1) No legacy exchange client extensions
2) All 32-bit extended MAPI applications fail
3) All 32-bit COM addins fail

Legacy Simple MAPI calls (think back to the days of using Outlook Express,
Pegasus, .etc) will work(e.g. Internet Explorer's send page (or link) by
e-mail).

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on

michael;146713 Wrote:
> Hello Neo,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> As always, new answers raises new questions to me:
>
> 1. Where did you get this documentation?

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx - In
Office 2010 there is no benefit in the 64 bit version to "normal" users
- if you routinely work with huge (over 2GB) files, then 64bit is
better. Otherwise, stick with 32bit.

In a version or 2, 64bit will be the norm but for now, 32bit is better.
(That's how it was with 64bit OS too - Win7 took 64 bit mainstream, with
most drivers supported.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]