From: Troy Piggins on
I'm trying to create an action that I intend to run after I'm
finished processing a TIF. I want it to save the full sized TIF;
convert to sRGB 8bit JPG; save that; resize down to 800 max
sides; save for web; resize down to 500 max sides; save that for
web.

Think I'm ok for most of it, but running into trouble with the
filenames where it's "saving as". How do you think this can be
done?

eg original filename is filename.TIF
save full sized jpg as filename.JPG
save 800 max as filename-800.JPG
save 500 max as filename-500.JPG

or something like that.

--
Troy Piggins
From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:29:46 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:

> I'm trying to create an action that I intend to run after I'm
> finished processing a TIF. I want it to save the full sized TIF;
> convert to sRGB 8bit JPG; save that; resize down to 800 max
> sides; save for web; resize down to 500 max sides; save that for
> web.
>
> Think I'm ok for most of it, but running into trouble with the
> filenames where it's "saving as". How do you think this can be
> done?
>
> eg original filename is filename.TIF
> save full sized jpg as filename.JPG
> save 800 max as filename-800.JPG
> save 500 max as filename-500.JPG
>
> or something like that.

Unfortunately, actions do not support variables, but there is hope. You
probably want to use scripting, which does allow variables in the scripting
language of your choice, typically VB script, or javascript. Check out the
scripting toolkit that is shipped with Photoshop.

Also check out http://www.ps-scripts.com/ , which is a site that is
dedicated to scripting.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Troy Piggins on
* Mike Russell wrote :
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:29:46 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
>
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>> save full sized jpg as filename.JPG
>> save 800 max as filename-800.JPG
>> save 500 max as filename-500.JPG
>>
>> or something like that.
>
> Unfortunately, actions do not support variables, but there is hope. You
> probably want to use scripting, which does allow variables in the scripting
> language of your choice, typically VB script, or javascript. Check out the
> scripting toolkit that is shipped with Photoshop.
>
> Also check out http://www.ps-scripts.com/ , which is a site that is
> dedicated to scripting.

Will do, thanks Mike.

PS - to save me making another post. I've come across a plugin
that's supposed to be pretty good for astro image editing -
called starrounder.8bf I think. I read that means it's a Windows
only plugin? Do you know of a way to convert it to Mac?

--
Troy Piggins
From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:22:51 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:

> * Mike Russell wrote :
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:29:46 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
>>
>> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>>> save full sized jpg as filename.JPG
>>> save 800 max as filename-800.JPG
>>> save 500 max as filename-500.JPG
>>>
>>> or something like that.
>>
>> Unfortunately, actions do not support variables, but there is hope. You
>> probably want to use scripting, which does allow variables in the scripting
>> language of your choice, typically VB script, or javascript. Check out the
>> scripting toolkit that is shipped with Photoshop.
>>
>> Also check out http://www.ps-scripts.com/ , which is a site that is
>> dedicated to scripting.
>
> Will do, thanks Mike.
>
> PS - to save me making another post. I've come across a plugin
> that's supposed to be pretty good for astro image editing -
> called starrounder.8bf I think. I read that means it's a Windows
> only plugin? Do you know of a way to convert it to Mac?

Although it could be done, AFAIK, there is no way to convert from Windows
to Mac, or run a Windows plugin directly on the Mac.

If that plugin is important enough, it is possible to emulate windows on
your Macintosh, run Photoshop for Windows, and access the plugin that way.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Troy Piggins on
* Mike Russell wrote :
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:29:46 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
>
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
>> save full sized jpg as filename.JPG
>> save 800 max as filename-800.JPG
>> save 500 max as filename-500.JPG
>>
>> or something like that.
>
> Unfortunately, actions do not support variables, but there is hope. You
> probably want to use scripting, which does allow variables in the scripting
> language of your choice, typically VB script, or javascript. Check out the
> scripting toolkit that is shipped with Photoshop.
>
> Also check out http://www.ps-scripts.com/ , which is a site that is
> dedicated to scripting.

Just thinking about this a little more. How about making the
action pause or wait for me to type in the filename at the save
for web window, then click ok and action continues. Is that
possible and how? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

--
Troy Piggins
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: CS4 14Bit
Next: Where did the separation settings go?