From: Janice on
my daughter has a dell laptop with a wireless card installed. when she
brings it to my house, she can connect to my internet without a problem..
when she goes somewhere offering free internet, she cannot connect. in the
system tray, it says it is connected but the pages won't load. she is
running windows XP. any suggestions?
--
Janice
From: Lem on
Janice wrote:
> my daughter has a dell laptop with a wireless card installed. when she
> brings it to my house, she can connect to my internet without a problem..
> when she goes somewhere offering free internet, she cannot connect. in the
> system tray, it says it is connected but the pages won't load. she is
> running windows XP. any suggestions?

Is this more than one "somewhere"? Or is it a network *named* "free
internet"?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Janice on

-- she has tried it at a friends house (who uses the same router and
provider that i use) and at starbucks.
Janice

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Depending on the utility that is used for your Wireless, if your home
Wireless is secured it might not connect automatically to open unsecured
Wireless.
Make sure that the Windows Wireless utility (WZC) is working correctly, and
that your daughter know how to use it to connect to other Networks.
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: abeer on