From: y2100s on
browser choice screen choice screen downloaded but i cannot install it what
can i do to resolve this problem
From: G. R. Woodring on

Date: 3/21/2010 2:13 PM, Author: y2100s Wrote:
> browser choice screen choice screen downloaded but i cannot install it what
> can i do to resolve this problem

You can't get browser choice to install? Break out the Champaign and fireworks, you
are the luckiest person in the EU! Everybody else is trying to get *RID* of it.

If you want to use a different browser, just download and install one (or more, I
have four). Microsoft has never prevented users from installing alternate browsers
or making them the default.

--
G. R. Woodring
From: Shenan Stanley on

G. R. Woodring wrote:
> You can't get browser choice to install? Break out the Champaign
> and fireworks, you are the luckiest person in the EU! Everybody
> else is trying to get *RID* of it.
> If you want to use a different browser, just download and install
> one (or more, I have four). Microsoft has never prevented users
> from installing alternate browsers or making them the default.

Wasn't it *asked for* by the EC?

http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx

I like this part...

"... the European Commission and Microsoft arrived at a resolution of a
number of long-standing competition law issues. Microsoft made a legally
binding commitment that PC manufacturers and users will continue to be able
to install any browser on Windows, to make any browser the default browser,
and to turn access to Internet Explorer on or off. In addition, Microsoft
agreed to use Windows Update to provide a browser choice screen to Windows
users in Europe who are running Internet Explorer as their default browser."

Essentially - because people could already do all that, just didn't have the
annoyance of something actually asking them after days/weeks/months/years of
using their own machine, it looks like to me the EC said, "The people we
'serve' cannot/should not have to figure out anything on their own in order
to do this - so although you only make and support one of the browsers in
question - program something to help the people make this choice with a list
of these other browsers."

*grin*

Talk about getting into every little facet of constituents lives.

My 76 year old grandmother installed Firefox with no help from me (noticed
it one day) and she never did/never should get one of these notices. The
majority of younger users (those who grew up with computers as an everyday
thing) are unlikely to have trouble. Google is there to search for
alternatives (among other search engines - including BING.) The amount of
information out there on how to install a new browser and make it default is
quite frankly, staggering.

So I ask honestly and perhaps naively...

Who is this really for? The EC so they get some concession or the people
they 'serve'...?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Ǝиçεl on

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/what-is-the-browser-choice-update>

From: sharon on
i can not install new updates for microsoft. i dont know what happened to my
windows installer. it is listed in control panel but can not find it. also
dont know what safe mode means or how to change it if that is the problem.
can somebody please help me thanks s. harperoh i am on a windows xp 2002