From: Dan on
I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.

I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
0x80070017
--
Dan
From: Shenan Stanley on
Dan wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all
> updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017

So you freshly installed Windows XP (Home? Professional? Media Center
Edition? Tablet PC Edition?) and are now trying to install Service Pack 2
for Windows XP (I assume.) Why did you 'reinstall Windows XP'? Hardware
failure?

Did you do a Repair Install (in-place upgrade) of Windows XP or did you
format the HDD & then do a clean install of Windows XP?

If your machine is already at SP1a - you don't need to install SP2 to
install SP3 for Windows XP.

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying. That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What AntiVirus application are you using? (Name and exact version, please.)
- Was any flavor of "Norton" products ever installed?
- Was any flavor of "McAfee" products ever installed?

Do you have a third party firewall - or are you using the built-in Windows
firewall?

Do you ever run any antimalware applications? If so - which ones and when
did you scan with them last (full scan, not quick)?

Some have trouble finding the downloads for SP1a, SP2 and SP3 they might
need...

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83E4E879-FA3A-48BF-ADE5-023443E29D78

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

You'll need quite a few updates after SP3.

Tried this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Please - do come back and reply. This conversation *will* be around for
years to come.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Ǝиçεl on
XP SP2 CD can be ordered online.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx>

For Service Packs, I prefer to download the full file and then install
offline after preparing the system first.
-=-

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp

Why and how did you do it?

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

From: LD55ZRA on
Dan,

You have received some advice about what you should do but none of them are
likely to be of any help to you if, you are like me who don't like reading
all the garbage given in computer books and websites.

Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
have only one machine to work with.

To install SP2, you will need to perform a clean install of Windows XP
(whatever version) and then after rebooting the system, you need to run this
big fat file and you will be up to date upto SP2. I normally suggest people
to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
most systems.

You will then need to download and install SP3 manually and that is all you
need for your system to be completely secure! Then you need to configure
your firewall so that it doesn't allow any exceptions.

Hope this helps but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to
contact me.