From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
Dan:-

On 2010-03-22 9:52 a.m., LD55ZRA wrote:

> Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Surprisingly, this is a reasonable suggestion. I would recommend checking the
security certificate on the download before running it, however.

> Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
> Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
> have only one machine to work with.

This doesn't really make sense for a home user. (Don't worry if you don't know
what a "Windows Installation cache" is, this isn't standard terminology anyway.)

> [...] I normally suggest people
> to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
> most systems.

This is bad advice. There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in "notify
me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but not installing
updates at all is not a good idea.

Harry.

PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good advice. Dan
and other visitors are advised to search for other postings by "LD55ZRA" so they
can make up their own minds.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: LD55ZRA on

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry(a)scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> This is bad advice. There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in
> "notify me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but
> not installing updates at all is not a good idea.

Please ignore the above advice because it is designed to destabilize your
system. The advice is by Microsoft Valuable Pig and they are there for one
thing and one thing only!

There is no evidence that updates post SP3 are making windows system any
secure than they were before the updates. There is ample evidence that the
updates are making systems unstable and the evidence is right in front of
you in these newsgroups.

That Microsoft Valuable Pig knows nothing about windows. He should go back
to his roots.

hth

From: LD55ZRA on
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post
> was unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for
good advice.

You are a f*ucking liar Piggy. You do reply to trolls because a f*ucker
like you has nothing else to do like a troll. This, therefore makes you
one.

hth

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-22 1:34 p.m., I wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
> unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good
> advice.

I see that normal service has been restored. :-)

Harry.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
+1