From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:eMj6$OtzIHA.2188(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Hank Arnold (MVP) <rasilon(a)aol.com> typed:

> I just ran into a similar problem last week. I was at a remote
> location and unable to join an XP workstation to the "HOSPICE"
> domain. All the servers (and DCs) are at the primary site connected
> over a point to point T1 line)
>
> The problem was resolved when I joined the "HOSPICE.LOCAL" domain
> instead of the "HOSPICE" domain.
>
> Maybe something similar for you??

Hi Hank,

If he hasn't edited the error messages, I *believe* his problem may be there
is no TLD (such as ".local") on his domain name, which makes it a single
lable name, so he wouldn't be able to do that.

I think you got lucky your customer's DNS domain name was correctly created
at inception. I think the problem not being able to join using HOSPICS
NetBIOS name may indicate a lack of NetBIOS name resolution issue across
subnets. WINS would be answer for that, especially if all the DCs are at
their primary site.

Ace

From: Hank Arnold (MVP) on
Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:eMj6$OtzIHA.2188(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> Hank Arnold (MVP) <rasilon(a)aol.com> typed:
>
>> I just ran into a similar problem last week. I was at a remote
>> location and unable to join an XP workstation to the "HOSPICE"
>> domain. All the servers (and DCs) are at the primary site connected
>> over a point to point T1 line)
>>
>> The problem was resolved when I joined the "HOSPICE.LOCAL" domain
>> instead of the "HOSPICE" domain.
>>
>> Maybe something similar for you??
>
> Hi Hank,
>
> If he hasn't edited the error messages, I *believe* his problem may be there
> is no TLD (such as ".local") on his domain name, which makes it a single
> lable name, so he wouldn't be able to do that.
>
> I think you got lucky your customer's DNS domain name was correctly created
> at inception. I think the problem not being able to join using HOSPICS
> NetBIOS name may indicate a lack of NetBIOS name resolution issue across
> subnets. WINS would be answer for that, especially if all the DCs are at
> their primary site.
>
> Ace

Thanks for the tip........ :-) Naming the domain (I'm the "customer",
by the way) is just about one of the very few things that these
so-called consultants did correctly (can you spell "Exchange Circular
Logging"?)...

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:%23jJUq84zIHA.1768(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
Hank Arnold (MVP) <rasilon(a)aol.com> typed:
> Thanks for the tip........ :-) Naming the domain (I'm the "customer",
> by the way) is just about one of the very few things that these
> so-called consultants did correctly (can you spell "Exchange Circular
> Logging"?)...

Circular logging? Why? Well, at least they got the name right!

:-)

From: Russell on
I've collected all of this info. but the newsgroup will not let me post
saying it is too large. I even tryed to break it into smaller pieces, but
still was not small enough.

I really wish I could let you see it because I cannot see anything that is
wrong from these outputs.

"Meinolf Weber" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello Russell,
>
> Please post the output from netdiag /v and dcdiag /v. Additional post an
> unedited ipconfig /all from both servers and the client machine.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>> Below is the error message when attempting to join domain. It finds
>> the DC. nslookup can resolve the DC both forward and backward, so it
>> seems that the A record for DC must be right.
>>
>> Now, here is the odd situation. This W2000 DC (Domain1) is using
>> another server W2003 DC (Domain2) for it's DNS and the LAN's DHCP
>> services. (I think this was done so the LAN would have a single DHCP
>> server.)
>>
>> I would even be willing to move the W2000 DNS services to reside on
>> the Domain1 DC if that would solve problem. I'm not sure how to get
>> all the DNS records set up for Active Directory if not done as part of
>> the original dcpromo.
>>
>> Any further advice appreciated. Russell
>>
>> -----
>> DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
>> record
>> used to locate a domain controller for domain ccs:
>> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ccs
>> The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
>> ccsserver.ccs
>> Common causes of this error include:
>> - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its
>> IP
>> addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
>> - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the
>> network or
>> are not running.
>> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
>> Search the Web:
>> domain name
>> "Meinolf Weber" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hello Russell,
>>>
>>> What is the error message during the join process?
>>> Also you mix a bit 2 different items, client join problem and DC
>>> diagnostic/troubleshooting
>>> tools. So if you think there are domain problems run dcdiag, netdiag

From: Meinolf Weber on
Hello Russell,

Lets start with ipconfig /all and dcdiag and netdiag without the /v switch.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.