From: Russell on
I have previously been successful joining WinXP PC to this Win2000 domain.
Have 2 new PCs with WinXP SP3 that will not join the domain. dcdiag.txt
output is show below. nslookup resolves the server name fine. I do not
have reverse DNS zone configured. (never needed that in past for joining PC
to this domain). I'm stumped. Any suggestions appreciated. Russell

------dcdiag.txt ___
The domain name ccs might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain ccs:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ccs
The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
ccsserver.ccs

Common causes of this error include:
- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or
are not running.
For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
-----

From: Meinolf Weber on
Hello Russell,

What is the error message during the join process?
Also you mix a bit 2 different items, client join problem and DC diagnostic/troubleshooting
tools. So if you think there are domain problems run dcdiag, netdiag and
repadmin /showreps and post the complete output here. For the clients check
that they have the correct ip settings, subnet mask and only domain internal
DNS server. Make sure that no firewall is enabled.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Meinolf Weber on
Hello Russell,

Please post the output from netdiag /v and dcdiag /v. Additional post an
unedited ipconfig /all from both servers and the client machine.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:OJq$i0IzIHA.5816(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Russell <Clarksville(a)nospam.nospam> typed:
> I have previously been successful joining WinXP PC to this Win2000
> domain. Have 2 new PCs with WinXP SP3 that will not join the domain.
> dcdiag.txt output is show below. nslookup resolves the server name
> fine. I do not have reverse DNS zone configured. (never needed that
> in past for joining PC to this domain). I'm stumped. Any
> suggestions appreciated. Russell
> ------dcdiag.txt ___
> The domain name ccs might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
> case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then
> the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS
> configuration.
> DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
> record used to locate a domain controller for domain ccs:
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ccs
> The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
> ccsserver.ccs
>
> Common causes of this error include:
> - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its
> IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
> - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the
> network or are not running.
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
> -----

Based on the error message you provided, and assuming it is unedited and
correct, (" The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ccs"),
it apparently seems you have a single label AD DNS domain name called 'ccs'
which is apparently causing the problem. DNS requires a minimum of two
hierarchal levels. Simply, the DNS name should have been something to the
extent of ccs.com, ccs.net, ccs.russell, etc.

The NETBios name could still be CCS. No problem there, but AD solely uses
DNS. DNS single label names are extremely problematic.

XP SP2 and newer have problems querying DNS for a resolution with DNS single
label names.

There are a number of ways to fix it:

1. Build a new pristine domain and migrate everything over using ADMT. If
Exchange is installed, install it on the new domain and use ExMerge to
migrate mailboxes and pub folders.
2. Upgrade to Windows 2003 domain and use the rendom tool to rename it
properly. If Exchange is installed, it will hugely complicate this method.
3. Bandaid it, but not suggested or recommended. You may still have
problems. See the following link for more info:

300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300684

--
Regards,
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

From: Hank Arnold (MVP) on
Russell wrote:
> I have previously been successful joining WinXP PC to this Win2000 domain.
> Have 2 new PCs with WinXP SP3 that will not join the domain. dcdiag.txt
> output is show below. nslookup resolves the server name fine. I do not
> have reverse DNS zone configured. (never needed that in past for joining PC
> to this domain). I'm stumped. Any suggestions appreciated. Russell
>
> ------dcdiag.txt ___
> The domain name ccs might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
> used to locate a domain controller for domain ccs:
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ccs
> The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
> ccsserver.ccs
>
> Common causes of this error include:
> - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP
> addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
> - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or
> are not running.
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
> -----

I just ran into a similar problem last week. I was at a remote location
and unable to join an XP workstation to the "HOSPICE" domain. All the
servers (and DCs) are at the primary site connected over a point to
point T1 line)

The problem was resolved when I joined the "HOSPICE.LOCAL" domain
instead of the "HOSPICE" domain.

Maybe something similar for you??

--

Regards,