From: Matrix-27 on
i tried what you said last nite and comp still does same thing and also
mixedup os it's xp pro not home dont think it matters much tho.
didnt get any disc's with the comp so reinstall is pretty much out of the
question,and he dosnt really want to bring it in to a shop to fix.
thinks it might be like a few min fix but the shop might say other wise and
charge a big bill. lol

From: Jose on
On May 22, 4:39 pm, Matrix-27 <Matri...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> i tried what you said last nite and comp still does same thing and also
> mixedup os it's xp pro not home  dont think it matters much tho.
> didnt get any disc's with the comp so reinstall is pretty much out of the
> question,and he dosnt really want to bring it in to a shop to fix.
> thinks it might be like a few min fix but the shop might say other wise and
> charge a big bill.  lol
>

> "Andrew E." wrote:
> >   Try run,type: cmd  In cmd type: CLEANMGR  Select C:  Once thru,
> >  type: Defrag C:  Once thru,type: CHKDSK C:  Type: CHKDSK C: /F
> >  Agree to restart,type: EXIT  Restart pc.
>
> > "Matrix-27" wrote:
>
> > > this for my dad as this is his first comp .
> > > got it for him for xmass and it worked fine and dandy.
> > > just recently it wont let him derfrag the c drive as it says chkdsk is
> > > schl'd to run. so he reboots and chkdsk starts ,then for some reason it
> > > cancels itself like he hit esc to quit chkdsk.
> > > i have seen this myself cuz i thought he was just canceling it himself. but
> > > it still cancels out like someone hit the esc button with neither of us
> > > around the keyboard.
> > > any help would be great as he's starting to drive me nuts . lol
> > > thanks ahead of time

You are trying things. You need to figure out and fix things.

Chkdsk runs on boot if XP finds the drive "dirty".

After chkdsk runs on boot, the drive should be clean.

You need to look in the Event Log as indicated and see why chkdsk is
not finishing properly.

You do not need an XP CD to run Recovery Console - here are
instructions:

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available:

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console will also clear the dirty
bit (if chkdsk /r completes successfully), but it would be more
interesting to see why XP can't do it itself. Running chkdsk /r from
Recovery Console will also let you see the results and what the
problem is on the screen.

Once you boot normally, you can even tell XP not to run chkdsk on the
dirty drive again (if the dirty bit will never clear for some
reason). It will not fix your problem of why it not behaving like it
should (that answer is in the Event Log), but chkdsk will not run when
XP boots again.

Pages: 1
Prev: Eternal-September
Next: Thumbnail view wrong