From: John. on
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:33:56 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Do you actually have the autochk.exe file in system32? No other ideas. I
>see some references where people have needed to format and restore their
>files from backup to fix the problem, but not a specific reason for the
>error.

Yes, it's there. Your suggestion though has led me to review the
security and permissions for the c: drive and folders. Some look a
little strange, but so far no luck. It is almost like the autochk
program is getting denied access to the drive or some other registry
abnormality affecting this only. (I'm not planning to reformat just
for this. Think I'll wait awhile for Vista if I'm going to redo
everything.)

Thanks for your ideas.
From: Cl.Mass� on
"John." <noemail(a)cox.net> a �crit dans le message de news:
sgkrs29n4veusv6t9ppep285s8ei37u50l(a)4ax.com

> This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
> unspecified error occurred"?
>
> After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
> to run at startup which I say yes to.
>
> After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
> message: "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
> and xp pr sp2 loads.
>
> Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?
>
> It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive. I can run chkdsk c:
> /p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
> disks are fine.
>
> I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
> immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
> return code problem.
>
> I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
> and everything seems ok otherwise.
>
> Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
> There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
> so early.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

Apparently, the chkdsk exe on your hard drive is corrupt. With the recovery
console, you use the one on the installation CD. The solution is to copy it
again from the CD.

Something like: expand E:\I386\chkdsk.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\chkdsk.exe

--
~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/