From: Michael Fanning on
I was slowly falling asleep watching a program on PBS tonight about the
medical uses of various toxins found in nature when I heard mention of a
promising treatment for deadly brain tumors descibed as glioma's. I
immediately woke up and started paying attention. Apparently brain tumors
have been successfully treated with a drug derived from clorotoxin which is
a medical substance derived from scorpions living in the Arizona desert.
According to a web source I found "It targets and destroys Gleoma cells only
leaving healthy brain tissue intact." My understanding is that it is not in
use yet, but it does look like clinical trials of TM-601 the drug name for
the chemical clorotin combined with a radioactive isotope is underway.

You may have already heard of this but in case you haven't this is from the
American brain tumor association website.
Clinical Trials and Survey Announcements
This brief list represents only a few of the opportunities open to people
with a brain tumor. Visit our web site at
http://www.abta.org/findingclinicaltrials2.htm and
http://www.abta.org/internetresources4.htm to learn about other studies and
research events. If your company or institution has a trial to post in our
e-news, please e-mail us at info(a)abta.org

Chlorotoxin Study
TM-601 (also known as chlorotoxin), an experimental drug is being developed
by TransMolecular, Inc. is being studied in a phase II clinical trial whose
goal is to assess the safety and effectiveness of TM-601 when combined with
radioactive iodine (13II). TM-601 is a synthetic version of chlorotoxin, a
naturally occurring molecule derived from scorpion venom, coupled with the
radioisotope iodine 131I. This phase II study is open to people with a
high-grade glioma (glioblastoma multiforme, anaplastic astrocytoma,
anaplastic oligoastrocytoma or gliosarcoma). Participants undergo surgery to
debulk the tumor and placement of a ventricular access device used to
administer the drug directly into the tumor cavity. Surgery is followed by
either 3 or 6 weekly injections of the new drug. To learn more, visit
http://www.transmolecular.com/ or go to http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ and
type "TM-601" into the search engine box.

God bless!

From: Michael Fanning on
Oops, sent to this board by mistake!

From: Michael on
Just for the record... the only reason I can think of for the US government
to have even *tried* this idea is that thy're scared to death of medical
marijuana.

http://www.nature.com/bjp/journal/v144/n8/abs/0706134a.html
Cannabidiol inhibits human glioma cell migration through a cannabinoid
receptor-independent mechanism