From: Ben Myers on
"Amanda" <someone(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:#aXpUlHDLHA.4400(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Ben,
> I've just rebooted and tried hitting the F8 button, doesn't work, comes up
> to the same screen with the f8 f9 f1 and delete option.

If you are saying that pressing the F8 key does nothing when the message
is displayed, try a different keyboard. If you are getting into the BIOS setup,
make sure you are saving the changes, since this typically is not done automatically.

Ben
From: Linus on
After you replace the CMOS battery, you often need to reset the CMOS. Usually
you do this by taking the battery out, installing it backwards in its holder
for 20 or 30 minutes to bleed off all the current. Then just take the battery
out, turn it around and install it properly.

Some mother boards have shorting terminals near the battery that let you
bleed off the current without removing the battery, check your users guide
for instructions on how to use those.

Either way you do it, when you restart your computer, the OS will reload the
CMOS with clean settings that may solve your problem.

Linusverl

From: Amanda on
Thanks to all who replied.

Ben - Just bought a new keyboard and tried, nope f8 & f9 still doesn't work.
Only working options are f1 and delete. Yes, i did save after changing the
bios setup. Doesn't work.

Jim - Yes I have anti virus installed and schedule to update and run
everyday. But the time set back because of the checksum error has made it
run at rather untimely. I do check the history once in a while to make
sure.

Linus - "After you replace the CMOS battery, you often need to reset the
CMOS. Usually you do this by taking the battery out, installing it backwards
in its holder" I don't quite understand this, do I take reset after I take
out the battery or after I replaced the battery? I hope you mean to take out
the old battery, drain off with the old battery and then replace with new.
Is that it? I'll try that.

I seem to think that the motherboard is dying. Either I get a new one or I
just punch F1 each time I turn on the computer and ignore the time.

Regards
Sonny

From: Jose on
On Jun 18, 4:00 pm, "Amanda" <some...(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> Ben - Just bought a new keyboard and tried, nope f8 & f9 still doesn't work.
> Only working options are f1 and delete. Yes, i did save after changing the
> bios setup. Doesn't work.
>
> Jim - Yes I have anti virus installed and schedule to update and run
> everyday. But the time set back because of the checksum error has made it
> run at rather untimely.  I do check the history once in a while to make
> sure.
>
> Linus - "After you replace the CMOS battery, you often need to reset the
> CMOS. Usually you do this by taking the battery out, installing it backwards
> in its holder" I don't quite understand this, do I take reset after I take
> out the battery or after I replaced the battery? I hope you mean to take out
> the old battery, drain off with the old battery and then replace with new..
> Is that it? I'll try that.
>
> I seem to think that the motherboard is dying. Either I get a new one or I
> just punch F1 each time I turn on the computer and ignore the time.
>
> Regards
> Sonny
>
> "Linus" <Linusv...(a)mspamn.com> wrote in message

> > After you replace the CMOS battery, you often need to reset the CMOS.
> > Usually
> > you do this by taking the battery out, installing it backwards in its
> > holder
> > for 20 or 30 minutes to bleed off all the current. Then just take the
> > battery
> > out, turn it around and install it properly.
>
> > Some mother boards have shorting terminals near the battery that let you
> > bleed off the current without removing the battery, check your users guide
> > for instructions on how to use those.
>
> > Either way you do it, when you restart your computer, the OS will reload
> > the
> > CMOS with clean settings that may solve your problem.
>
> > Linusverl
>
> > "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> >> "Amanda" <some...(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
>
> >> If you are saying that pressing the F8 key does nothing when the message
> >> is displayed, try a different keyboard.  If you are getting into the BIOS
> >> setup,
> >> make sure you are saving the changes, since this typically is not done
> >> automatically.
>
> >> Ben
> >> .

I don't see where you have identified your system well enough (the
right questions have not been asked).

You can try things all day long - how it that working out?

If your system boots, do this and we can identify the motherboard and
then you might get some better ideas:

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork. (too
late for the guesswork part).
From: Jose on
On Jun 16, 6:20 am, Linus <Linusv...(a)mspamn.com> wrote:
> After you replace the CMOS battery, you often need to reset the CMOS. Usually
> you do this by taking the battery out, installing it backwards in its holder
> for 20 or 30 minutes to bleed off all the current. Then just take the battery
> out, turn it around and install it properly.
>
> Some mother boards have shorting terminals near the battery that let you
> bleed off the current without removing the battery, check your users guide
> for instructions on how to use those.
>
> Either way you do it, when you restart your computer, the OS will reload the
> CMOS with clean settings that may solve your problem.
>
> Linusverl
>

> "Ben Myers" wrote:
> > "Amanda" <some...(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote in messagenews:#aXpUlHDLHA.4400(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > > Ben,
> > > I've just rebooted and tried hitting the F8 button, doesn't work, comes up
> > > to the same screen with the f8 f9 f1 and delete option.
>
> > If you are saying that pressing the F8 key does nothing when the message
> > is displayed, try a different keyboard.  If you are getting into the BIOS setup,
> > make sure you are saving the changes, since this typically is not done automatically.
>
> > Ben
> > .

Where can I read about this method of resetting the CMOS by inserting
the battery backwards for 20 to 30 minutes to bleed off the current?