From: Man T on
XP SP3
My home pc is very slow in copying file from HD to USB port.
It took 50 minutest copy a 1.2GB from HD to USB flash key. I thought the
problem of my USB key, but it's not. I tried to copy 2.5 GB file in my work
pc from USB(my colleague's USB key) to USB(my current USB key), took about
10 minutes.

My HD is fast, so should not be the problem.
I tried a differenet USB port in my home pc, still very slow.

How do I know which USB port is USB 2.0?

From: Mike S on
On 6/14/2010 3:50 AM, Man T wrote:
> XP SP3
> My home pc is very slow in copying file from HD to USB port.
> It took 50 minutest copy a 1.2GB from HD to USB flash key. I thought the
> problem of my USB key, but it's not. I tried to copy 2.5 GB file in my work
> pc from USB(my colleague's USB key) to USB(my current USB key), took about
> 10 minutes.
>
> My HD is fast, so should not be the problem.
> I tried a differenet USB port in my home pc, still very slow.
>
> How do I know which USB port is USB 2.0?

How can I tell if I have USB 2.0?
http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html

If you are stuck with USB 1 on the m/b you might consider buying a USB
2.0 PCI card, e.g.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1070706&CatId=511
From: Paul on
Mike S wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 3:50 AM, Man T wrote:
>> XP SP3
>> My home pc is very slow in copying file from HD to USB port.
>> It took 50 minutest copy a 1.2GB from HD to USB flash key. I thought the
>> problem of my USB key, but it's not. I tried to copy 2.5 GB file in my
>> work
>> pc from USB(my colleague's USB key) to USB(my current USB key), took
>> about
>> 10 minutes.
>>
>> My HD is fast, so should not be the problem.
>> I tried a differenet USB port in my home pc, still very slow.
>>
>> How do I know which USB port is USB 2.0?
>
> How can I tell if I have USB 2.0?
> http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html
>
> If you are stuck with USB 1 on the m/b you might consider buying a USB
> 2.0 PCI card, e.g.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1070706&CatId=511

The ask-leo reference is mostly right.

There are a few motherboards, with a mixture of USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 connectors
on them. That happened around the transition from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. The chipset
(Southbridge) may only be USB 1.1, and the manufacturer added a NEC USB2 chip
to the motherboard, to run some of the other connectors. In that case, you need
to consult the product documentation, to see which connector is wired to which chip.

For anything more modern than that, as the ask-leo reference says, finding
the word "Enhanced" in the Device Manager, in the USB section, is what
you're looking for.

it is also possible, to enter the BIOS, and turn off USB2 mode with a
BIOS setting. So verifying the USB section in the BIOS, is also part
of the checking process. The BIOS setting would control the
Southbridge USB port behavior. Once the BIOS setting has been
corrected, you go back to Device Manager in Windows, and hope
an "Enhanced" entry is waiting for you.

There are some more Device Manager pictures here.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Paul
From: Alan T on
Thanks, I need to consult my motherboard manual.

It's a bit strange as my home system was built 6 months ago, even much newer
than my work pc (have been working for more than 1 year).
Shouldn't XP SP3 will update/enable all USB 2.0 port automatically?

From: Jose on
On Jun 14, 9:29 pm, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks, I need to consult my motherboard manual.
>
> It's a bit strange as my home system was built 6 months ago, even much newer
> than my work pc (have been working for more than 1 year).
> Shouldn't XP SP3 will update/enable all USB 2.0 port automatically?
>

> >> If you are stuck with USB 1 on the m/b you might consider buying a USB
> >> 2.0 PCI card, e.g.
>
> >>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?....
>
> > The ask-leo reference is mostly right.
>
> > There are a few motherboards, with a mixture of USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
> > connectors
> > on them. That happened around the transition from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. The
> > chipset
> > (Southbridge) may only be USB 1.1, and the manufacturer added a NEC USB2
> > chip
> > to the motherboard, to run some of the other connectors. In that case, you
> > need
> > to consult the product documentation, to see which connector is wired to
> > which chip.
>
> > For anything more modern than that, as the ask-leo reference says, finding
> > the word "Enhanced" in the Device Manager, in the USB section, is what
> > you're looking for.
>
> > it is also possible, to enter the BIOS, and turn off USB2 mode with a
> > BIOS setting. So verifying the USB section in the BIOS, is also part
> > of the checking process. The BIOS setting would control the
> > Southbridge USB port behavior. Once the BIOS setting has been
> > corrected, you go back to Device Manager in Windows, and hope
> > an "Enhanced" entry is waiting for you.
>
> > There are some more Device Manager pictures here.
>
> >http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

We can help determine your situation if you do this:

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

Open Device Manager, by clicking Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Do you see any red Xs or yellow ?s and if so, in what sections?

Now expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section and look for
the words:

Enhanced Host Controller

Do you see Enhanced Host Controller or not?

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: updated install freezes
Next: cmos checksum error