From: Paul on
Alan T wrote:
> Thanks, I need to consult my motherboard manual.
>
> It's a bit strange as my home system was built 6 months ago, even much newer
> than my work pc (have been working for more than 1 year).
> Shouldn't XP SP3 will update/enable all USB 2.0 port automatically?

A 6 month old system should be entirely USB2.

You will see either one or two "Enhanced" entries in the Device Manager.
Two Enhanced entries is enough to control up to 12 USB2 connectors. The
entry corresponds to the logic block controlling the connectors, rather
than being "one per connector".

Check the BIOS first. I got surprised once, when USB2 seemed to be
turned off on my system. And I did not remember changing the BIOS
setting, and yet USB2 had been disabled at the BIOS level. Check
that first, in the BIOS setup screen. The key to press, to enter
the BIOS, should be printed on the screen at powerup.

Sometimes, detection of USB2 fails. And one solution, is to delete
the entries in Device Manager, and let Windows detect the hardware
again. Example here. This might happen, after a Service Pack upgrade.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

Paul
From: Man T on
Hi,
this is my System Summary info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-MA790XT-UD4P
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F4, 21/05/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.16 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.09 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Device Manager:
Yes, I got some yellow question marks in Device Manager:
Other devices
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

For the Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

It looks like my Windows did not detect USB 2.0 in my system.

From: Man T on
In addition, I read the BIOS screen(show up for 5 seconds) when I boot up
the pc there are 4 USB port are 1.1 and 2 USB port are 2.0.

From: Bob I on
You install all the motherboard drivers?
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3012&ost=xp#anchor_os

From: Bob I on
Also read this.
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_List.aspx?FAQID=4665

Man T wrote:

> Hi,
> this is my System Summary info:
>
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> System Name
> System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
> System Model GA-MA790XT-UD4P
> System Type X86-based PC
> Processor x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz
> BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F4, 21/05/2009
> SMBIOS Version 2.4
> Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
> System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
> Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
> Locale United States
> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
> User Name
> Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
> Available Physical Memory 2.16 GB
> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
> Page File Space 5.09 GB
> Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>
> Device Manager:
> Yes, I got some yellow question marks in Device Manager:
> Other devices
> - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
> - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
>
> For the Universal Serial Bus controllers
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
>
> It looks like my Windows did not detect USB 2.0 in my system.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: updated install freezes
Next: cmos checksum error