From: skeeter on
i'm thinking of going from a xps 630i to studio xps 9000 with the i7 2.66.
current xps has dual core 3.1 4 gbt memory with the radeon 4850 with 512
memory and the 9000 comes with 6 gb memory and a radeon 5450 with 1 gb.
being that hard drive space is not an issue, is it worth the $ to upgrade?
the system is used 8 to 10 hours a day browsing, and trading online, dual
monitors.

thanks for any advise.

From: Ben Myers on
On 5/4/2010 7:34 AM, skeeter wrote:
> i'm thinking of going from a xps 630i to studio xps 9000 with the i7
> 2.66. current xps has dual core 3.1 4 gbt memory with the radeon 4850
> with 512 memory and the 9000 comes with 6 gb memory and a radeon 5450
> with 1 gb. being that hard drive space is not an issue, is it worth the
> $ to upgrade? the system is used 8 to 10 hours a day browsing, and
> trading online, dual monitors.
>
> thanks for any advise.

Probably not, unless the on-line trading has been enormously profitable
and you need to get rid of some of the money. I have an client trading
online for whom I built an early quad core system a couple of years ago
and the system still has plenty of horse power... Ben Myers
From: Daddy on
skeeter wrote:
> i'm thinking of going from a xps 630i to studio xps 9000 with the i7
> 2.66. current xps has dual core 3.1 4 gbt memory with the radeon 4850
> with 512 memory and the 9000 comes with 6 gb memory and a radeon 5450
> with 1 gb. being that hard drive space is not an issue, is it worth the
> $ to upgrade? the system is used 8 to 10 hours a day browsing, and
> trading online, dual monitors.
>
> thanks for any advise.

Would the applications that you habitually run benefit from the X58
chipset, triple channel memory and Bloomfield processor?

If the answer is yes, then the XPS9000 is undeniably a wise decision. If
the answer is no, then you're wasting your money.

In general, the XPS9000 is total overkill for most users. Some examples
of applications that benefit from its hardware are HD video editing,
Photoshop and CAD.

Daddy
From: RnR on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 09:39:55 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>skeeter wrote:
>> i'm thinking of going from a xps 630i to studio xps 9000 with the i7
>> 2.66. current xps has dual core 3.1 4 gbt memory with the radeon 4850
>> with 512 memory and the 9000 comes with 6 gb memory and a radeon 5450
>> with 1 gb. being that hard drive space is not an issue, is it worth the
>> $ to upgrade? the system is used 8 to 10 hours a day browsing, and
>> trading online, dual monitors.
>>
>> thanks for any advise.
>
>Would the applications that you habitually run benefit from the X58
>chipset, triple channel memory and Bloomfield processor?
>
>If the answer is yes, then the XPS9000 is undeniably a wise decision. If
>the answer is no, then you're wasting your money.
>
>In general, the XPS9000 is total overkill for most users. Some examples
>of applications that benefit from its hardware are HD video editing,
>Photoshop and CAD.
>
>Daddy

Daddy, you remind me of a couple years ago. My sister in law wanted
to buy a new Dell pc and asked for my help. I suggested a decent one
but she asked about the best. I told her that for her needs it was a
waste of money. Guess what, she ignored me and bought the best at the
time and as I predicted, a waste of money for her needs. Oh well,
I'm just glad it was her money not mine.
From: timdrouillard on
My vote would be to keep what you have now.

Considering what you use it for, your current video card is plenty, so is
the memory, and yes the newer processor is a better processor, considering
you'd be going from a 3.1Ghz clock speed to a more efficient 2.66Ghz, that's
not that much of a gain ether for the money.

Buying a new system is always tempting, and fun, but will it be worth the
money, I'd vote no this time.

You don't mention what version of Windows you have now. If you still have
XP, stick with it. If you have Vista, think about moving to Windows 7.

"skeeter" <longhorn(a)leg.horn> wrote in message
> i'm thinking of going from a xps 630i to studio xps 9000 with the i7 2.66.
> current xps has dual core 3.1 4 gbt memory with the radeon 4850 with 512
> memory and the 9000 comes with 6 gb memory and a radeon 5450 with 1 gb.
> being that hard drive space is not an issue, is it worth the $ to upgrade?
> the system is used 8 to 10 hours a day browsing, and trading online, dual
> monitors.
>
> thanks for any advise.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2