From: MZB on
I recently upgraded to Avira 10. Since then (but not immediately after)
quite often my computer suddenly slows way down to where it isn't really
usable (about a minute pause when I depress a key or click on something).
Avira and malwarebytes do NOT report any problems.
I can right click the icon and uncheck the antiguard enable, but I think
Avira is still in memory. Is there a quick way for me to shutdown Avira and
see if the problem gets resolved? I don't like to reboot with Avira off
because it takes 30-45 minutes for the problem to occur. I don't think my
laptop is overheating. Any other suggestions?
I run XP HOMe --SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 2200. I also run IE 7.0. But if I
shut that down and run Firefox the slowness continues.

Another idea I have is to perhaps go back to Avira 9.0. Can one d/l that
version? (Free version).

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated. It may not be Avira-related.
I'm just not sure how to proceed

Mel

From: Dustin Cook on
"MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in

> I recently upgraded to Avira 10. Since then (but not immediately
> after) quite often my computer suddenly slows way down to where it
> isn't really usable (about a minute pause when I depress a key or
> click on something). Avira and malwarebytes do NOT report any
> problems. I can right click the icon and uncheck the antiguard enable,
> but I think Avira is still in memory. Is there a quick way for me to
> shutdown Avira and see if the problem gets resolved? I don't like to
> reboot with Avira off because it takes 30-45 minutes for the problem
> to occur. I don't think my laptop is overheating. Any other
> suggestions? I run XP HOMe --SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 2200. I also run
> IE 7.0. But if I shut that down and run Firefox the slowness
> continues.

Are you using the registered version of malwarebytes? You may want to try
disabling the resident module and see if your issue clears up. I know v1.45
doesn't play well with one antivirus.. I'm thinking it's avira.

Please post back your results.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: gufus on
Hello, Dustin!

You wrote on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:19:23 GMT:

>> reboot with Avira off because it takes 30-45 minutes for the problem
>> to occur. I don't think my laptop is overheating. Any other
>> suggestions? I run XP HOMe --SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 2200. I also run
>> IE 7.0. But if I shut that down and run Firefox the slowness
>> continues.
|
| Please post back your results.

I just tested Avira v10, Malwarebytes v1.45 (both regestered) the resident
module /on/... No slow down.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: gufus on
Hello, MZB!

You wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:28:11 -0400:

| Another idea I have is to perhaps go back to Avira 9.0. Can one d/l that
| version? (Free version).
|
| Again, any suggestions would be appreciated. It may not be Avira-related.
| I'm just not sure how to proceed

De-Select "Follow symbolic links" and then do a full system scan.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Erehwon on

"MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded to Avira 10. Since then (but not immediately after)
>quite often my computer suddenly slows way down to where it isn't really
>usable (about a minute pause when I depress a key or click on something).
> Avira and malwarebytes do NOT report any problems.
> I can right click the icon and uncheck the antiguard enable, but I think
> Avira is still in memory. Is there a quick way for me to shutdown Avira
> and see if the problem gets resolved? I don't like to reboot with Avira
> off because it takes 30-45 minutes for the problem to occur. I don't think
> my laptop is overheating. Any other suggestions?
> I run XP HOMe --SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 2200. I also run IE 7.0. But if I
> shut that down and run Firefox the slowness continues.
>
> Another idea I have is to perhaps go back to Avira 9.0. Can one d/l that
> version? (Free version).
>
> Again, any suggestions would be appreciated. It may not be Avira-related.
> I'm just not sure how to proceed
>
> Mel
Have you used TASK MANAGER to see if one process is hogging all the
resources when the slowdown starts?