From: Dave on
I have a computer Gateway computer that did not come with a Windows
installation CD. It has a D: Partition with a Restore to install the
computer back to the way it was when I purchased it. I came home today and
found the computer had crashed it said to run check disk. The drive did come
back up ok so far. As I write this on another computer I am running a backup
up the computer. I was told there is a way to make a Windows installation CD
from the computer so when I get a new hard drive I can format it and install
Windows. My question is HOW DO I DO THIS? Thanks for any help in advance.
From: Jerry on
You did not say what Operating System you have but it does not really matter
except what type of disk (CD or DVD) would be used. It is not a true
install disk you would be making, it is a recovery disk. There should be
something in your users manual that tells how to make the disk. Normally
this is something you want to do when you first get a new PC.

If you don't have the user manual, you might find how to make the disk by
googling or in Help. Also you can call Gateway and give them your model and
serial number for the PC and they should tell you how to make and use the
recovery disk.

Most computers only allow you to make ONE recovery disk so make the recovery
disk and store in a safe place. With the right burn software, you might be
able to make copies but certainly the original is preferable.

If I am not mistaken you will need your product code if you ever need to use
the restore disk.

Good Luck

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?= <Dave(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have a computer Gateway computer that did not come with a
> Windows installation CD.
[...]
> I was told there is a way to make a Windows installation CD from
> the computer so when I get a new hard drive I can format it and
> install Windows. My question is HOW DO I DO THIS? Thanks for any
> help in advance.

Try this... it has instructions for creating the disk:
"Using Gateway System Recovery"
<http://support.gateway.com/s/manuals/desktops/9532287.pdf>
HTH,
John