From: Ewa on
Hi,

I have a question to those of you who had the below problem
and managed to solve it. I am not asking for theoretical
solutions. I am asking for practical solutions only which
you successfully used.

I installed the MS Windows XP Home SP2 on a new disk.
After the installation some applications were installed.
Then I realised that the Search doesn't work.
I get the following error:
"A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.
You may need to run setup".

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Regards
Ewa

From: Ewa on
Thank you for your answer.

[...]

> Usually, that kind of problem lies somewhere in or about this folder:
>
> C:\windows\srchasst\mui\0409
>
> Either it is not there at all, or something is missing from it. Do
> you have this folder? Mine has 30 files in it.
The folder is there and is contains 30 files.
The only difference is that the subfolder is named 0415 but it is correct
as we use Polish version of Win XP.

> After that message does a useless open window appear?
When the Search is called from Windows Explorer, on the left side
there is a small dog sitting, not searching, and on the right side there
is a widows with all subfolders and files existing in the folder from which
the serach was called.
When the Search is called from Start -> Search, on the left side there
is the dog, on the right side there is an empty (white) window.

> When you attempted to reinstall Search Assistant using the
> srchasst.inf, what happened?
It looks for msgr3en.dll file and asks for a CD with the system.
Then it copies the file (from /i386 subforlder on CD) and everything
seems to be OK as no message is displayed.
However when we try to use Search it results with the same error:
"A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.
You may need to run setup".
It also happens after restarting the system.

Regards
Ewa