From: Matt on
Hi,

I'm totally illiterate when it comes to fixing computers (just am an expert
in applicationsl likeExcel), and don't even know if I'm posting to the right
place. I suspect not but i figured I'd give it a try.

I have a two year old HP laptop and the processor/fan is racing like crazy
every five minutes, especially when running a multimedia application to view
videos.

Anybody have any suggestions. I supected it was the overbearing Norton anti
virus but I'm not so sure. When I run the task manager and look for what is
taking the memory up, it's usually Windows explorer. I also suspected the
HP pc health application as well but am unsure what will happen if I remove
that program. I see definite periodic high spikes in PC processor usage in
task manager.

Regards.
Matt
mattpomeroy71(a)yahoo.com

From: thecreator on
Hi Matt,

Wrong Newsgroup. You crossposted into WindowsXP Help and Support.

--
thecreator

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Matt" <mattpomeroy71(a)yAHOO.COM> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm totally illiterate when it comes to fixing computers (just am an
> expert in applicationsl likeExcel), and don't even know if I'm posting
> to the right place. I suspect not but i figured I'd give it a try.
>
> I have a two year old HP laptop and the processor/fan is racing like
> crazy every five minutes, especially when running a multimedia
> application to view videos.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions. I supected it was the overbearing Norton
> anti virus but I'm not so sure. When I run the task manager and look
> for what is taking the memory up, it's usually Windows explorer. I also
> suspected the HP pc health application as well but am unsure what will
> happen if I remove that program. I see definite periodic high spikes in
> PC processor usage in task manager.
>
> Regards.
> Matt
> mattpomeroy71(a)yahoo.com

You hear it making a sound like it's whirring up an down? The fan(s) is
probably loaded with dust. Go to Staples or Office Depot and get "Air In A
Can". Unplug the CPU and take the side panel off. You may need to take the
fan cover off too. Even when it looks like it's clean from either end, it
can still be loaded with dust. You might want to do this outside to avoid
a mess.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Bruce Chambers on
Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm totally illiterate when it comes to fixing computers (just am an
> expert in applicationsl likeExcel), and don't even know if I'm posting
> to the right place. I suspect not but i figured I'd give it a try.
>
> I have a two year old HP laptop and the processor/fan is racing like
> crazy every five minutes, especially when running a multimedia
> application to view videos.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions. I supected it was the overbearing Norton
> anti virus but I'm not so sure. When I run the task manager and look
> for what is taking the memory up, it's usually Windows explorer. I also
> suspected the HP pc health application as well but am unsure what will
> happen if I remove that program. I see definite periodic high spikes in
> PC processor usage in task manager.
>
> Regards.
> Matt
> mattpomeroy71(a)yahoo.com

HP laptops have very poor cooling capabilities, in my experience.
Before following the suggestion to use canned air to blow out dust, you
(or a qualified hardware technician) must first open the access panels
around the cooling fan(s) and remove by hand all of the accumulated dust
and hairs from all of the cooling air passages. Otherwise, all the use
of canned air is likely to do is further compress the obstructions. It
may also be, as the fan is so noisy, that its bearings are worn and the
fan should be replaced.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: