From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You now have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take care of everything
on the following page before otherwise connecting the machine to the
internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and before using a
flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

From: mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com on
Daave:

thanks for the reply. well....the funny noise is gone & windows was
installed. the model of laptop is a Compaq Presario M2000. The friend who
used his disk to wipe the computer clean is kind of old and cranky and I
could not get him to complete the job. I'm not even sure if he knows how?
it took him two months just to put the disk in to wipe it clean! i didn't
want to wait around to try and see if he could do the rest, that may have
taken 6 months! just figured i would try to figure out the rest on my own.
sorry it took me a couple days to reply....i am in new orleans and got caught
up in Saints fever this weekend with the superbowl game yesterday and all!

anyways......i guess we shall start here first.....i right clicked on my
computer like you said and looked under device manager. yes, there is a
question mark and exclamation points. it looks exactly like the picture from
the link. the only other thing i have done so far was to go into updates and
make sure that it is turned on.

so where do i go from here? what comes next? i had been waiting for the
weekend to pass so i could really get into this while my kids are in school.
however, since the saints won the superbowl....there is no school today (mon),
so my kids will be bugging me to share my computer with them all day today.
i will try and check back when i can, but tomorrow i will have the computer
all to myself, all day while kids are in school (and for the rest of the
school week for that matter)....so i would really like to delve into this and
get my daughters laptop back in working order!

From: mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com on
Pegasus:

my bad.....you are correct.....the friend did re-install Windows, like you
said. that is all i could get him to do. he is older and cranky and it took
him two months just to wipe computer clean and re-install the windows. i'm
not even sure if he knows how to finish the job but if i would have asked him.
....i would be waiting another 6 months! i would rather try to finish it up
on my own, even if my knowledge is limited. i can read and ask questions of
nice people like you! i followed your instructions for the firewall, so it
is now turned on.

From: Elmo on
> [...]
>>
>> If so, let us know so we can help you with the installation of the
>> proper drivers.
>>
>> 2. Also, a better description of this "funny sound" is needed. Is it a
>> sound that came from speakers? Or is a particular hardware component
>> noisy? If the latter, is this component still noisy? I ask because the
>> component may need to be replaced.
>>
>> Also...
>>
>> By default, SP2 has the built-in Windows firewall already on. You can
>> verify this by following the method Pegasus gave you.
>>
>> There is a lot of work involved (but it is all doable) to get your
>> daughter's laptop to where it needs to be. It involves installing SP3
>> and all subsequent security updates, a decent antivirus program (Avira
>> Antivir is free and recommended), other antimalware programs (MBAM and
>> SAS are free and recommended), and a number of other things. POst back

If you're sure of the model number, go here and download all drivers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=433559#

But there are a few versions of that laptop:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=Compaq+Presario+M2000&submit=Go+%BB

--
Joe =o)
From: mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com on
Davej:

got the firewall running and activated Microsoft update. now where do i go
to get the latest updates installed? thanks for your reply!

Davej wrote:
>On Feb 6, 10:22 am, "mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com" <u55080(a)uwe>
>wrote:
>> my daughters laptop had something wrong with it.....[...]...what do i do now?
>> what steps do i need to take to make sure the computer is safe before i allow
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> necessary drivers re-installed with the starter disk when the computer is
>> cleaned?
>
>If you don't have the drivers installed your video and sound and power-
>save options may not work right.
>
>What you need to do is make sure the Microsoft firewall is running and
>then activate Microsoft Update and get the latest updates installed.
>After that is accomplished you can go to the laptop manufacturers
>website and see if you can download the drivers for your model.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: New internet issue with desktop and laptop
Next: Who Dat?