From: John Stumbles on
One of the users on my home system (SWMBO wouldn't you guess) keeps
starting up new kde sessions rather than returning to previous sessions
she already has running. It's probably easier to fix on the system
than in the user :-|. Trouble is I can't find how.

/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc seems to obvious place but I can't find anything
there, or in kdm.options or anywhere else in /etc/kde3/kdm (or in STFW ;-))

Am I missing something obvious? Like it not being possible?

--
John Stumbles

"I used to think correlation implied causation.
Then I took a statistics course and now I don't."
"Sounds as if the statistics course helped."
"Well, maybe."
From: unruh on
On 2010-08-08, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> One of the users on my home system (SWMBO wouldn't you guess) keeps
> starting up new kde sessions rather than returning to previous sessions
> she already has running. It's probably easier to fix on the system
> than in the user :-|. Trouble is I can't find how.

What does she do to start up new kde sessions? It is not easy to do.
Or do you mean something else?

From: Mike Civil on
In article <8c8d9oFoinU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>One of the users on my home system (SWMBO wouldn't you guess) keeps
>starting up new kde sessions rather than returning to previous sessions
>she already has running. It's probably easier to fix on the system
>than in the user :-|. Trouble is I can't find how.

I must admit I've approached this from a different angle. I don't use an
X display manager at all, just a normal getty. When users log in there's
a small bit of code in their .profile that checks if they've already got
an X session running. If they have, the code uses chvt to switch to the
relevant console with their X display on it. Otherwise a new X session
is started using startx.

It just needs a bit of user education in the use of <ctl><alt><Fn>
to switch consoles to either find their own X session or a getty.

It's quite easy to customise what X environment (eg XFCE, KDE, Gnome)
is started by changing ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession.
From: John Stumbles on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:51:50 +0000, unruh wrote:

> What does she do to start up new kde sessions? It is not easy to do. Or
> do you mean something else?

Maybe I mean something else :-)

If I've been using the machine and gone away locking my session (I have
it set to locking automatically on timeout and bring up a slideshow
screensaver) then when she touches the keyboard or mouse a window pops up
saying "This session was locked by John" and offering a 'switch user'
button: she clicks this button and gets a choice of activating an
existing session (which is what she ought to do) or starting a new
session (which is what she does, so sometimes I find she has 3 sessions
running!). I want to be able to prevent her from starting a new session
if she has an existing session.

Thinking about it I probably can't get kdm to refuse to offer to start a
new session since that would prevent other people legitimately starting
their own new sessions, so I guess I want some way that, if she does try
to start a new session it checks whether she already has an existing
session and - ideally: automatically switches her to that one; or,
failing that, simply refuses to start the new session (or maybe brings up
a dummy session with only one application running saying what the problem
is and what to do).

The more I think about it the harder a technical fix sounds :-(

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic

Pages: 1