From: Charles on
When we last left our hero, he had a blown power supply. Well, he got
new one and installed it and the Mac, (G4, OS9.x) worked fine for a
week or so. Now there's a new problem: I can't dial out to get my
email connection (earthlink). There is a dial tone on the phone line.
Trying to dial out (connect) from the email program doesn't work, nor
does it work trying to use a web browser, nor can I connect using the
"connect" function. From this I deduce that there isn't a problem with
a specific program. In Eudora I click on the "check email" and the
status box comes up telling me it's connecting, but then there is
nothing else. There isn't an error message for "no dial tone" or any
other one.

Is it possible there is a hardware problem? Or a settings problem
somewhere? Just before this happened, the Mac froze (cursor wouldn't
move on screen, nor did the keyboard work) and I had to restart using
the front on button twice before this was corrected.

Any suggestions?
From: Charles on
On Jul 4, 9:31 pm, Charles <ctbis...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> When we last left our hero, he had a blown power supply. Well, he got
> new one and installed it and the Mac, (G4, OS9.x) worked fine for a
> week or so. Now there's a new problem: I can't dial out to get my
> email connection (earthlink). There is a dial tone on the phone line.
> Trying to dial out (connect) from the email program doesn't work, nor
> does it work trying to use a web browser, nor can I connect using the
> "connect" function. From this I deduce that there isn't a problem with
> a specific program. In Eudora I click on the "check email" and the
> status box comes up telling me it's connecting, but then there is
> nothing else. There isn't an error message for "no dial tone" or any
> other one.
>
> Is it possible there is a hardware problem? Or a settings problem
> somewhere? Just before this happened, the Mac froze (cursor wouldn't
> move on screen, nor did the keyboard work) and I had to restart using
> the front on button twice before this was corrected.

Small update: When I was able to use the mouse again (previously the
cursor was "frozen" in the upper left hand corner), I tried to open
some documents and got the error message that MathLib was missing. So
now it's a software problem, yes? Though I don't know how MathLib
could be missing if it had been there before the problem with the non
moving cursor and the shutdown and restart.

Charles

Pages: 1
Prev: iDisk
Next: MIDIServer Help please